Classical vinyls: need suggestions

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a small amount of LPs, none of which are classical, so I'd like to address that. I knew of classical music from hearing on TV and such, although it was the guitarist Yngwie Malmsteen who got me more interested, particularly in the violin. I don't know classical music terribly well so I never know what to buy which is why I haven't bothered. I know I like the list below, although it is possibly to a classical fan to what Guns'n'Roses is to me: - Greensleeves - Tchaikovsky - Nutcracker- Bach - Air on the/a G String- Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata - Pachelbel - Canon in D - Albinoni - Adagio- generally the piano but mainly strings, particularly violin I particularly would like the violin to be dominant, it's the only instrument that can get close to the electric guitar to express emotion - feel free to argue about that! :)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Yehudi Menuhin playing Elgar's Violin Concerto is wonderfully expressive, if that's what you're looking for.

Spotify to sample it, perhaps.

I'm certainly no authority, most of my collection is derived from my father and father-in-law's respective love for the violin and piano. My slowly increasing awareness and collection greatly reflect this influence.

cf.

Piano:

Mozart Piano Sonatas played by Mitsuko Uchida
Daniel Lupati playing various Chopin pieces
Daniel Barenboim playing Mozart's Piano Concertos

Violin:

At the moment my knowledge is greater in regard of symphonic pieces rather than violin concerti(sic?), which is obviously string-laden but not necessarily solely violin-centred.

For that, I'm a fan of the jazz playing of Stephane Grappelli and Joe Venuti, both recommendations gleaned from my fiddle-restoring father.

A

Anonymous

hi teaser,

I know hee haw about classical music personnaly, although saying that i do like Holst the planets. (probably got that wrong)!!!

but what i would say is get yourself round carboot sales and charity shops, they always have stacks of classical vinyl. You may find some new music you like, then take it from there. Just be doubley carefull of scratches etc.

cheers

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hey,

I'm like you, I love strings, especially violin, above all other instruments when it comes to classical. I've heard loads of classical over the last couple of months but one piece still moves me more than any other:

Barber's Adagio for strings. If the name doesn't ring a bell, you'll recognise the track as soon as you hear it.

Check it out here

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts