Classic ipod volume limit.

keneddy

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Can anyone tell me how to increase the volume of my ipod Classic 80G.When using SennheiserPX100 headphones the sound is too low.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
You can adjust the volume of the music itself via iTunes.

Select all the tracks in your library (edit; select all)

Then go to File; Get Info

Under the Options tab you'll find a Volume Adjustment slider - dial that up to as high as you like, hit OK and give iTunes time to do its work on all your tracks.

You'll then, obviously, need to resync your iPod to accept the updated library.

Hope this helps - it's worked for me.

A

Anonymous

If you are using a low bitrate (128kbps) then i would be careful how much you turn the volume up because they can distort quite badly

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If you're using low bitrate files, don't bother with an iPod Classic, they'll fit on a nano! With all that room to play with, uncompressed files are the way forward.

A

Anonymous

Just a quickie Clare, but what format are your music files ?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I've got a clutch of lower bit-rate files (mix of legacy MP3 files and AAC) I use on my iPod nano for the gym/short trips, plus a much larger library of Apple Lossless/WAV files for use via my hi-fi/loading on larger iPod.

A

Anonymous

I've read the info in this thread about increasing the volume of music on you ipod in itunes and using software to do it directly. I've also read about the different bit-rates used to store music on an ipod. I'm in the old school and have recently bought a classic 160GB. I've put an absolute shed load of albums on via CD-ROM around 3000 tracks in total so far and it's taken up around 13GB of space. When you transfer CD's into itunes from CD-ROM, is it automatically done at the highest bitrate/quality available. If this is the case, can I pump up the volume in itunes as suggested without my tunes distorting as someone else suggested they might? Sorry if I'm asking the obvious but I recently bought a lead to connect the ipod to my stereo and it sounded so quiet I took it back to the shop. Your advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

keneddy

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the advice but everytime I try to download the program it says it cant connect to the website. Has the site moved?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="bscm1977"]

I've read the info in this thread about increasing the volume of music on you ipod in itunes and using software to do it directly. I've also read about the different bit-rates used to store music on an ipod. I'm in the old school and have recently bought a classic 160GB. I've put an absolute shed load of albums on via CD-ROM around 3000 tracks in total so far and it's taken up around 13GB of space. When you transfer CD's into itunes from CD-ROM, is it automatically done at the highest bitrate/quality available. If this is the case, can I pump up the volume in itunes as suggested without my tunes distorting as someone else suggested they might? Sorry if I'm asking the obvious but I recently bought a lead to connect the ipod to my stereo and it sounded so quiet I took it back to the shop. Your advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

[/quote]

No your iTunes will automatically import songs at 128kbps AAC, to change to a higher bitrate WAV or Applelossless you need to go to,

iTunes>Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Importing and then choose from the drop down box either WAV or Apple lossless. Hope this helps

A

Anonymous

cheers
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Let me get this straight, You have to set to WAV or Apple lossless BEFORE importing CD's for them to be in high quality format? I've imported loads of stuff from CD and I'm not really relishing the idea of doing it again although if this is the case it's going to have to be done as I've got a 160gb and plenty of room to spare. A question... Once I've selected Apple lossless or WAV, do I need to put the 'setting' onto 'higher 256kbps' or does this not matter? Many thanks.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, you have to set it under iTunes/Preferences/Importing - or it'll default to 128kbps AAC.

Both Apple Lossless and WAV are fine left on Automatic - though you can custom-tweak WAV if you wish.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="keneddy"]Has anyone used "eupod" to increase the volume setting on a Classic 80G ipod. I tried it and it swiped all 3000 tracks![/quote]

Nope - but then we tend to view a lot of freeware with an extreme health warning!

keneddy

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
I tried your suggestion to increase the volume via itunes for all tracks, Clare, to absolutely no effect. Apparently all this does is to decrease the volume slider on the ipod-which means that if you turn it up to full volume the sound level actually doesn't get any louder passed half way on the slider. The real reason nothing works is because Brussels has forced the companies to limit the volume( nanny state again). Is there any way of buying software to unblock this or can I buy a line out portable amp that isn't too big to carry around? Frankly, Clare, whilst I appreciate your previous help, I feel somewhat bemused that your magazine continues to give five stars to what is now an inferior product, and also very surprised that you obviously had no idea that the volume on these 5th generation Classics was so low-by design.I thought your main remit was to inform the public in an unbiased way about all the latest developments -good or bad. I bought the Classic ipod 80G on your magazine's reccomendation, and had I known about this volume limiter I wouldn't have bothered.

TonyHall

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
To be fair, this lower volume on European iPods was introduced 5 years ago (IIRC, with a firmware update on the v3 iPod) due to possible French legal action. So it's nothing new. Does it only affect iPods, or do other manufacturers also conform to these regulations?

One foolproof way around this limitation used to be to buy an iPod from the US (I have no idea if that's still the case, or whether firmware updates will re-implement the limit).

I have to say, I've never felt the volume limit was a problem. Experts have always warned about the dangers of hearing damage from listening at high volumes with headphones, indeed The Who's Pete Townsend has blamed his hearing problems on this.

Just a thought, have you inadvertently set a low volume limit in the iPod's settings, or is it switched to 'Off'?

Cheers,

Tony

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="keneddy"]I bought the Classic ipod 80G on your magazine's reccomendation, and had I known about this volume limiter I wouldn't have bothered.[/quote]

A classic argument, but from this, I can only guess you bought it without trying it out for yourself. Otherwise you'd have known the volume limit when you demoed it.

Sorry, but I've no sympathy for you. You read someone else's opinion of a product (which is what a review is), and then decided to buy outright without any further investigation. Then you found the product didn't fit exactly what you wanted, so you're trying to blame the reviewer.

Can I suggest you chalk this one up to lessons learnt, and from this point on, use reviews as they are meant to be used (i.e. to shortlist your own auditioning) and then do your own investigation?

keneddy

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
I am registered as "hard of hearing" and have been most of my life, but volume has never been a problem on any music source I have used before. However, even keen hi-fi friends of mine, when comparing my 5th Gen classic ipod to their older versions have said the only way they can enjoy the sound is when it is on full-and even they would prefer it to go louder. All my music has been downloaded at Apple Lossless-whether that effects the volume or not I don't know-and I feel very angry that at my age-56- I have to be told by politicians how loud I can listen to my music. I have read somewhere that the limiter is only on the headphone output. I have an Onkyo dock plugged into my amp and the volume is twice as loud as compared to using the headphone output into my amp headphone socket, so perhaps this is correct. If so CAN SOMEBODY MANUFACTURE A LINE-OUT TO HEADPHONE ADAPTOR ? I,d be the first ( of many ) to buy one.

keneddy

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
You obviouisly have no idea about buying an ipod. Have you ever been able to go into a shop and listen to one before buying it-considering that there would be no music downloaded on to it until installing i-tunes on to your computer first!

A

Anonymous

On my 80gb ipod classic I listen to various types of music, which includes, jazz, easy listening and mainly classical and I found the answer to the volume setting was to purchase a small headphone amp, so that I could adjust the volume ,using the amps volume control or the ipod's volume control. I have three types of these amps and they work perfectly for me. The main headphones I use are either Grado60s' or a pair of AlessandroMS1 and the sound from my ipod using any of my small amps is very satisfactory, no matter which type of music I am listening to. You can find any number of these small headphone amps on a very popular auction site, at a very reasonable price.

Hope this helps.

TonyHall

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="keneddy"]You obviouisly have no idea about buying an ipod. Have you ever been able to go into a shop and listen to one before buying it[/quote]Yes: Apple store, PC World and John Lewis.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="keneddy"]You obviouisly have no idea about buying an ipod. Have you ever been able to go into a shop and listen to one before buying it-considering that there would be no music downloaded on to it until installing i-tunes on to your computer first![/quote]
Yup, I've been to quite a few department stores which let you do this. They usually have an iMac or something with an iPod hooked up to it.

A

Anonymous

Yep, this works (at least it did on my 30Gb colour ipod). There is no need to touch iTunes or change volume settings etc. Just go to the link on professorhats post.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts