Classic FM Hall of Fame 2018

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Has just started. It lasts 9am to 9pm from Good Friday to Easter Monday. 300 pieces are played and have been voted for by listeners.

Although not everything is to everyone’s taste, it’s a cracking programme overall and well worth dipping into.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I often catch bits of this show in the car. It's always very good.

Classic FM is a good way of discovering new pieces. I recently rediscovered Rhapsody in Blue thanks to Classic FM.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Results were as follows:

1. 1812 overture op. 49 - Tchaikovsky

2. Concerto no 2 in C minor - Rachmaninoff

3. The Lark Ascending - Ralph Vaughan Williams

The lark's decent caused quite a stir last night!

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Which recording did they play of 1812? Only 2 decent ones for me, a nice 1958 Dorati/Minneapolis Symphony one with a splendid commentary from someone involved with the reording, and the other is the Kunzel Telard one which took some serious groove tracking when first released. Thankfully its on CD so less taxing on the old turntable.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
nick8858 said:
Which recording did they play of 1812? Only 2 decent ones for me

You should try the London Festival Orchestra / Bob Sharples one on Decca. It's quite famous, the LP has cannons on the front. It's backed with Nutcracker Suite. That to me is THE definitive recording of 1812. The only negative thing is the climax section is hard for even the best turntables to track, consequently many pressings sound distorted at that point having been played countless times over a period of 55 years by substandard turntables.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
nick8858 said:
Which recording did they play of 1812? Only 2 decent ones for me

You should try the London Festival Orchestra / Bob Sharples one on Decca. It's quite famous, the LP has cannons on the front. It's backed with Nutcracker Suite. That to me is THE definitive recording of 1812. The only negative thing is the climax section is hard for even the best turntables to track, consequently many pressings sound distorted at that point having been played countless times over a period of 55 years by substandard turntables.

Some of Telarc albums have warnings on the cover because the cannons are so loud.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Forgot about him! He did some bonkers stuff. Now you've done it as I'll have to hunt that one out. Some of the Living Presence and Decca stuff from the 50's was truly superb. Puts modern day record producers to shame. Okay some recordings exploited the gimmick of stereo but others produced some seriously good audiophile recordings on humble magnetic tape.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts