Chromecast vs Chromecast for Music?

Rendupm

Nov 13, 2019
Visit site
Hi....currently have 2 Chromecast audio, and 1 Chromecast video at home. When I stream content from music apps, I can see that both type allow music services and show as available devices for music casting. So, the question I have is, what is the difference between these 2 for music? Does Chromecast audio sound better for music or is more suitable for some reason? Why? Please note that in all the cases, I am using digital connection to my HiFi/TV/AVR system (via toshlink and HDMI in the case of video). Thanks.

DCarmi

Both support up to 24-bit/96 KHz streams. If you are using a TOSLink (optical) cable with the Audio version then there should be no discernible difference in quality because both should be using the DAC in your AV amp.

If you use a standard 3.5mm jack rather than TOSLink you will be using the Chromecast Audio internal DAC and this may be of lesser quality,

In your case, I suspect you have little need of the Chromecast Audio. It is best suited to non-AV amps and speakers.

Reactions: soundsky

Rendupm

Nov 13, 2019
Visit site
Both support up to 24-bit/96 KHz streams. If you are using a TOSLink (optical) cable with the Audio version then there should be no discernible difference in quality because both should be using the DAC in your AV amp.

If you use a standard 3.5mm jack rather than TOSLink you will be using the Chromecast Audio internal DAC and this may be of lesser quality,

In your case, I suspect you have little need of the Chromecast Audio. It is best suited to non-AV amps and speakers.

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I use both. In fact, all 3 - CC Ultra, CC, and CC Audio.

The latter I use to add streaming to my older AV amp, without needing to involve the TV.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts