Chromecast audio V Sonos Connect

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
From a 'hifi' perspective, is the Chromecast Audio a no brainer versus a Sonos Connect?

Putting aside the costs for a moment.

I have purchased an android tablet specifically for the purpose of controlling/streaming Spotify into my hifi system. I want to sit in my listening seat searching Spotify to discover and listen to music I have not heard before. I already have a Play-1 in my kitchen and may add more in other rooms in the future, but having them all playing together along with my hifi is not high on the list of needs. I was about to purchase the Connect - especially as it has been discounted to £241, but the Chromecast Audio almost seems like a no brainer for £30. My hifi will be upgraded in the future plus the addition of a dac, so I am happy to spend more cash on something that won't need upgrading again later. Sound quality tops the list of requirements.

Any views or advice on this? What will the connect give me that the chromecast won't?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I've decided to get the chromecast audio for now as its only £30. It will allow me to get up and running for next to nothing, whilst I get used to my new tablet and set up a Spotify account.

I like the ease of use of Sonos, but I know that I would consider adding a better dac in the longer run, so the £240 for the connect plus another £600+ for a decent dac could be used instead towards possibly an amp that will do it all. So whilst I continue to ponder, £30 (plus a cable) seems like a no brainer for now.

Seems I've answered my own question.

abacus

Chromecast just streams the digital data to an external DAC, therefore it cannot alter the sound in any way, thus the quality of sound will be determined solely by the external DAC.

NOTE: Hi Fi DACs usually top out at about £200 (Most Pro DACs are significantly better and cheaper) and going more expensive will only provide minor (Or no) improvments, (The law of dimishing returns has set in) therefore make sure you have a full in depth demonstration of the various DACs available before splashing out any cash. (Under no circumstances take any notice of Hi Fi magazine reviews to determine which is best, only use them to narrow down to a short list in the various price bands)

Hope this helps

Bill

jonathanRD said:
I've decided to get the chromecast audio for now as its only £30. It will allow me to get up and running for next to nothing, whilst I get used to my new tablet and set up a Spotify account.

I like the ease of use of Sonos, but I know that I would consider adding a better dac in the longer run, so the £240 for the connect plus another £600+ for a decent dac could be used instead towards possibly an amp that will do it all. So whilst I continue to ponder, £30 (plus a cable) seems like a no brainer for now.

Seems I've answered my own question. 
It's available for £25, I used Tesco clubcard boost & spent only £12.50 worth of vouchers.

EnjoyingTheMusic

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Now supports multi-room and high definition audio - we are increasingly using it in the home. Works very well, no drop outs. For the price it's a no brainer to at least try.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Picked up the chromecast audio this morning plus a 3.5mm to rca cable. (missed the earlier posts but thanks BB for the tip).

Busy for most of the day, so only set it up earlier this evening. Apart from a temporary problem connecting to my network, setup was very straight-forward. Cast from the TuneIn radio app first, then setup Spotify Premium. All very straight-forward and I was quite surpised and pleased with the quality of the sound.

For now at least, it was a no-brainer for me.

A new amp next, maybe one with a dac and streaming features, but the plan (as per Bill's advice) is for a series of demos.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts