Chromecast and toslink

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Can anyone help. I have the new Arcam Solo Music and stream to it via a chromecast audio. I bought this because I experienced dropouts using the Bluetooth of the Arcam. I decided to buy a toslink cable for the chromecst as a kind of upgrade to 3.5mm supplied with the chromecast. However, although it works fine with the supplied cable, when I plug in the toslink to the optical point on the Arcam it doesn't work and I subsequently don't have any sound. Any ideas as to why? I emailed Arcam, but they havent bothered to answer.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
cse said:
Can anyone help. I have the new Arcam Solo Music and stream to it via a chromecast audio. I bought this because I experienced dropouts using the Bluetooth of the Arcam. I decided to buy a toslink cable for the chromecst as a kind of upgrade to 3.5mm supplied with the chromecast. However, although it works fine with the supplied cable, when I plug in the toslink to the optical point on the Arcam it doesn't work and I subsequently don't have any sound. Any ideas as to why? I emailed Arcam, but they havent bothered to answer.

I dont know either product but i had a similar problem.

All id say is check the settings on the chromecast audio to see if its outputting in a compatible setting.my problem was pcm and bitstream settings but could be something else. Just look in settings menu.

Im sure youll find the problem
Hope this helps but im sure someone with the actual product will come along soon with less vague info

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Maybe a dodgy cable, have you anything else to try it with?

Not being funny but a recent thread here and someone left the very small (almst invisible) rubber protector on the end of the optical, just saying in case

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Make sure that the cable sends signals.
unplug it from the arcam, point the cable to a white sheet of paper, play some file. If a red light appears the cable is working.
If not the cable is not plugged in the chromecast, has a protective cover over it or is faulty. All easy to check if you compare tye original with the newly bought one.
For what its worth: I also have a chromecast, have tried quite a few cables in the past but believe that an optical cable can have a marginal effect at best. From sound tests I take that there's no difference if your dac has an inputbuffer.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Superaintit said:
From sound tests I take that there's no difference if your dac has an inputbuffer.

Thanks for your reply. I not sure what you mean by 'input buffer'. I'm using an Arcam Solo Music. Does it have one?

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
muljao said:
Maybe a dodgy cable, have you anything else to try it with?

Not being funny but a recent thread here and someone left the very small (almst invisible) rubber protector on the end of the optical, just saying in case

I hope that it isn't a doggy cable I bought it brand new from amazon. Definitely took the small rubber protector off.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
The cable emits a red light so must be working. Still no sound though. Very baffling. When I plug in the toslink nothing i.e. It refuses to cast. When I plug the supplied yellow cable back in it works.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
cse said:
The cable emits a red light so must be working. Still no sound though. Very baffling. When I plug in the toslink nothing i.e. It refuses to cast. When I plug the supplied yellow cable back in it works. 
Strange. I have a chromecast and use it with an aftermarket optical cable.
Anyhow, I'd recommend you use the supplied cable as there's not much to be gained.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Superaintit said:
A free upgrade: download the google home app, select your cast device and select the option to play full dynamic range for Av and hifi.

Thanks, I've already done that. Actually, I'm now having problems with the the chromecast generally. Although with the supplied cable it works. I'm experiencing constant dropouts, which is making it unlistenable.

abacus

Do you have the correct input selected and the digital input you are using is assigned to it?

Drop outs could be loss of wireless signal, so make sure there are no metallic obstructions.

Hope this helps

Bill

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
abacus said:
Do you have the correct input selected and the digital input you are using is assigned to it?

Drop outs could be loss of wireless signal, so make sure there are no metallic obstructions.

Hope this helps

Bill

You could have a point. What input do you select for optical/toslink connections?

As to metallic obstructions, the Ardcam itself is extremely metallic. Not sure how to avoid that.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Problem solved! I needed to use the TV selector on the Arcam rather than the AUX selector. Didn't work initially when I tried the various input options as 'casting' isn't always automatic and takes a while to kick in. But having paused on the TV input for 30 seconds, the casting kicked in. Thanks for the help

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts