Chordette Peach - how good?

baldy38

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
Does anyone know anything about the new Chordette Peach DAC from Chord? It has been developed from the Gem but in terms of spec, the Peach seems to differ only in that it has optical and coaxial inputs, yet it is nearly double the price. That seems a massive price difference for a couple of inputs, so presumably it also has much better sound. But is this true?
Equally, I find that reviews of DACs only very rarely compare their sound with CD players. So how good is a Peach (or Gem)? Does it compare with a good-quality £1000-ish CD player? Or is it nowhere near as good? And how much does the sound quality depend on which input you use? I ask because I have what might be described as a low high-end audio system - a Rega Saturn CD player, Leema Pulse amplifier and B&W 805S speakers. I'm considering adding a DAC to the system to enable the playing of files stored on a computer and/or iPhone, and the flexibility of the Peach/Gem appeals. However, I don't see the point if the audio quality is going to be significantly lower than from my Saturn. And I can't afford a QBD76, much as I might like to!

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I've read reviews elsewhere and the Peach does seem to live up to it's name but as it's about twice the price I would consider forking out for a DAC I probably won't audition it.

I'm guessing most DAC reviews don't do comparisons with CD players as CD's are unlikely to be their primary source. Generally the only exception is when there is a specific CD transport + DAC match like the Cyrus combo recently reviewed

In the end all you can do is let reviews guide you so you can draw up a shortlist of what to audition then let yours ears (and wallet) do the rest of the work.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts