Chordette Gem and Macbook?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,
My music collection is purely MP3 (min 320kbps) stored on my Macbook Pro 15" running Leopard, and I've got a pair of Audioengine A5s on Atacama Nexus stands (which are also hooked up to my TV)...I'm reading on the forums that Leopard now incorporates A2DP for wireless streaming...can anyone confirm:
a. if I invest in the Gem, will I be able to wirelessly stream music from laptop to the speakers?
b. would I be using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut (i.e. is there a cheaper solution?) or should I go for the Gem?
Ta...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:And actually, the Airport Express doesn't sound half bad on its own - may be sufficient for your 320k files.

The Gem will act purely as an 'external soundcard' and stream all sources of music whether on/via iTunes or not. Is this how the AE works?

The Chordette looks like a nice bit of kit (for Bluetooth users). I hope there is a review soon.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
I agree with John Duncan. The Airport Express is a top little piece of kit in it's own right. The risk with a good external DAC is that it may reveal the shortcomings of compressed files. To find out, you could try taking your MBP along to a Richer Sounds with an optical lead (mini-optical at one end) to try out the DAC Magic and see if it would do more harm than good.

A

Anonymous

Thanks John...but what happens if I don't want to be restricted to playing music from iTunes?

John Duncan

chebby:cue tumbleweed blowing through a deserted thread.

I don't think the AE fans will thank you for that question. LOL

Then you buy Airfoil for $25 (which, if you can afford the Chordette........)

John Duncan

chebby:JohnDuncan:And actually, the Airport Express doesn't sound half bad on its own - may be sufficient for your 320k files.

The Gem will act purely as an 'external soundcard' and stream all sources of music whether on/via iTunes or not. Is this how the AE works?

The Chordette looks like a nice bit of kit (for Bluetooth users). I hope there is a review soon.

Review here

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:chebby:cue tumbleweed blowing through a deserted thread.

The one box solution looks more elegant (if it lives up to Chord's usual quality) than DAC + Airport Express + 3rd party software.

A

Anonymous

FuzzyinLondon:The risk with a good external DAC is that it may reveal the shortcomings of compressed files. To find out, you could try taking your MBP along to a Richer Sounds with an optical lead (mini-optical at one end) to try out the DAC Magic and see if it would do more harm than good.

Do you mean the short-comings as in there is less data? I find my DAC makes even a 128 sound veryÿagreeable.ÿ

John Duncan

chebby:JohnDuncan:chebby:cue tumbleweed blowing through a deserted thread.

The one box solution looks more elegant (if it lives up to Chord's usual quality) than DAC + Airport Express + 3rd party software.

Yes it does, though I am so not convinced by bluetooth (my phone cannot control my Mac via bluetooth through one brick wall and twelve feet). And AE + DACMagic + TPS = 285 quid, which may to some seem more elegant still.

John Duncan

Well I think that there's plenty of competition, it just ends up on computing forums rather than hifi forums - witness Gerrard's media centre extender which cost him less than a squeezebox, there are various others (mostly by networking manufacturers rather than hifi ones) which, once fed into a DAC, should be just as good as an AE, squeezebox et al.

I'm waiting for a hifi manufacturer to do one though, along the lines of the Linn DSes, the Transporter, the Naim HDX etc etc, but without the word "thousands" in the price tag.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It is also about time that hifi manufacturers started growing up to this trend and including an optional 'slot' or module for plug in DACs in their amps. (yes wireless ones as well) Cambridge Audio springs to mind as a natural.

The board inside a DacMagic could easily be accomodated as a plug-in optional module for a CA amplifier.

Even Rega may catch on in 20 years or so :)

John Duncan

drummerman:Did you ever get your DacMagic and compare it with your primare player?

No, is coming down next week (20th). And the builders finish today (in theory, haven't checked). So report some time after that.

Would have been last week if the same bloke hadn't been bringing my daughter's b'day present (electric guitar).........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts