Chord SPM1000 Vs Chord SPM1000B

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Hello daspaceman,

I'm not sure of the difference in the two models and it could be worth emailing Matt at Chord to find out, he's avery helpful chap.

Are they good amp's, from experience i've never heard a bad sounding Chord amp. I use a CPM3300 integrated and it a fine fine machine. The presentation they give is quick an energetic, the music races along like a greyhound out the trap. It also gives a big 3d stage with good solid detail all over but not false like. Transients are fast and sparking with the bass fast, taut and well damped. Vocals come across as more throaty rather than chesty and can give rock and guitar bass vocal a gritty edge which work well. Don't let this put you off though as female vocals like that of Norah Jones are just beautiful to hear also. Its a wonderful machine that works with all music i throw at it, though guitar based is my favourite.

Chord amps have there favourite speakers just like any other amp out their. Dynaudio, Bowers and Wilkins and Wilson Benesch. Personally though i use Totem Mani II Sigs are they use a pair of Dyn drivers in each cabinet and they are suited very well.

Back on the amp sig, you may or may not enjoy that kind of sound but for fireworks it's very good!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your post Shooter69.

I listen mainly to Jazz music... old and new. When I listen to rock, it`s only soft rock and I dont know if it is a good thing in Jazz for vocals to sound throaty hehe Also, I think a an amp which is a little laid back works for Jazz but i might be wrong.

Anyone partnered Proac with Chord ?

daspaceman:
Hello,

Anyone knows the difference between the two? Are they good amps?

Thanks !

Hi daspaceman

The SPM1000B had the main board changed which resulted in lower distortion/noise. One of the main differences the new board had over the original design is a greater number of capacitors for better storage. The most obvious difference is the SPM1000B offers better bass performance then the SPM1000.

Btw, Chord Electronics amps and Proac speakers work well together.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hello Rick... Very knowledgable!

Good to know that chord/proac work.. as it opens up greater options.

Do chord electronics sound cinical , like for example older cyrus gear? And how is the midrange in general?

Regards,

Kevin.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
daspaceman:

Do chord electronics sound cinical , like for example older cyrus gear? And how is the midrange in general?

Regards,

Kevin.

I think we are talking about another league to Cyrus. No offence C fans.

A

Anonymous

None taken ...

... Chord is a lot more expensive of course!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
daspaceman:
And how is the midrange in general?

Its a sweet sound Kevin, not clinical at all. There is no hardening on strings or vocals, it's smooth with a natural forward presentation.
With the vocals there is an emphasis on the throat of the vocalist instead of the chest which is part of the up front presentation so not as mellow as a tube amp which would pick up on the chest.
As you listen to jazz, the emphasis on an instrument with a bow like a double bass would be more bow/string instead of body.
It all relates to the amp character, fast and rhythmical.

daspaceman:

Regards,

Kevin.

Hi Kevin

No Chord Electronics components do not sound clinical. I've found the Chord Electronics and Proac speakers to have a 'sugary' feel whilst still maintaining superb dynamics and blistering speed.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts