chord qutest

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
ellisdj said:
Andrewjvt said:
ellisdj said:
He has just bought 4grands worth of amplifier to power floorstanders why would he now want to buy active book shelf speakers - its not a sensible recommendation Andrew in this situation

I have tried quite a few very good upper eschelon products in the last year some have had FPGA dacs and some havent - the FPGA dacs Hugo 2, PS Audio Directstream, Dave and now Qutest have always sounded that bit clearer.

Its not to say the other products sounded bad - far from it its just the FPGA Dacs mentioned seems to have an extra level of clarity and organisation to the sound thats very addictive. 

I was not trying to sell him active speakers as you suggested. But I was trying to make a point about a pointless upgrade and hopefully save him some money.

He's already blown loads of money and now he's looking for more clarity.

My point was it is achievable without such cost if clarity is what he's after.
You cant honestly believe that just buying a pair of active speakers as you mentioned gives you as much clarity as you can possibly get from any audio system that you can possibly buy - come off it man it doesnt work like that and even if it did its not as simple as that either.

Bigger speakers will give a bigger scale of sound generally - why is it wrong to want more clarity to accompany that scale - to me thats a very sensible goal.

As I mentioned before I have had some top kit in to listen to and I didnt get the clarity that I am now getting with the Qutest dac, its true, I even said it at the time

Maybe I would get it with a benchmark dac as well but that doesnt mean buying a new dac is a bad idea - and depending on what dac is currently being used it might be a great idea. 

The Qutest is capable of incredible sound quality and its very well spec'd with the exception of MQA and far from silly money.  Its a very good long term purchase 

I'd love to see a recorded
Bake off between your system with all the power conditioners, isolation, usb magic boxes, special power leads etc etc etc v a pair of AVI Dm10 or 12 and a Mac book plugged straight into the wall.
I think you'll be amazed.

Or even the same with ATC scm100 ask actives and a benchmark dac with cheap laptop if you want more expensive.

bit of a difference between those 2 Andrew 2k and 18k :)

I would love to get the ATC in for that bake off.

The ATC at Bristol sounded good SCM40A nothing like the sound quality I have been getting but I am not squeezed into a hotel room like they were big difference there in situations so it's not a fair comparison

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Andrewjvt said:
ellisdj said:
Andrewjvt said:
ellisdj said:
He has just bought 4grands worth of amplifier to power floorstanders why would he now want to buy active book shelf speakers - its not a sensible recommendation Andrew in this situation

I have tried quite a few very good upper eschelon products in the last year some have had FPGA dacs and some havent - the FPGA dacs Hugo 2, PS Audio Directstream, Dave and now Qutest have always sounded that bit clearer.

Its not to say the other products sounded bad - far from it its just the FPGA Dacs mentioned seems to have an extra level of clarity and organisation to the sound thats very addictive. 

I was not trying to sell him active speakers as you suggested. But I was trying to make a point about a pointless upgrade and hopefully save him some money.

He's already blown loads of money and now he's looking for more clarity.

My point was it is achievable without such cost if clarity is what he's after.
You cant honestly believe that just buying a pair of active speakers as you mentioned gives you as much clarity as you can possibly get from any audio system that you can possibly buy - come off it man it doesnt work like that and even if it did its not as simple as that either.

Bigger speakers will give a bigger scale of sound generally - why is it wrong to want more clarity to accompany that scale - to me thats a very sensible goal.

As I mentioned before I have had some top kit in to listen to and I didnt get the clarity that I am now getting with the Qutest dac, its true, I even said it at the time

Maybe I would get it with a benchmark dac as well but that doesnt mean buying a new dac is a bad idea - and depending on what dac is currently being used it might be a great idea. 

The Qutest is capable of incredible sound quality and its very well spec'd with the exception of MQA and far from silly money.  Its a very good long term purchase 

I'd love to see a recorded
Bake off between your system with all the power conditioners, isolation, usb magic boxes, special power leads etc etc etc v a pair of AVI Dm10 or 12 and a Mac book plugged straight into the wall.
I think you'll be amazed.

Or even the same with ATC scm100 ask actives and a benchmark dac with cheap laptop if you want more expensive.

bit of a difference between those 2 Andrew 2k and 18k :)

I would love to get the ATC in for that bake off.

The ATC at Bristol sounded good SCM40A nothing like the sound quality I have been getting but I am not squeezed into a hotel room like they were big difference there in situations so it's not a fair comparison

ATC scm100 asl pro £8000 plus vat
I'd personally rather see the differnce in the small dm12s at only £3000 myself.
You won't beat them for clarity.

Ja I read somewhere your impressions of the scm40s
Was not a true reflection imo of the strengths of ATC regards the bass so we would have to have them at yours.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I just want to retract something I said about a week ago

I said I watched a movie for the first time in ages and it sounded awful and I wasn't expecting it.

I thought it was dac related as all else was the same however I discovered a ground loop and have gone real big with the mains conditioning and have improved things considerably and realise what I thought and said was wrong.

I don't want to mislead anyone by mistake the arcam avr850 can be stunning for movies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts