Chord Odyssey 2 or 4 - any difference?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So got upgraditis. Changed my Silver High Breed interconnect to a Chord Chameleon Silver Plus and swapped my Arcam A85 for a Rotel RA-1062.

Next step is to change the QED Silver Anniversary XT Bi-Wire for the Chord Odyssey.

Didn't realise how much the above change would impact the wallet! For the Chord Odyssey 2 am I right in thinking I would need to get x4 strips of this? Probably a stupid question.

I am bi-wiring right now, so would the Chord Odyssey 4 make any difference to the sound, as opposed to buying individual speaker cables? There isn't really any difference in price as far as I can tell.

A

Anonymous

Ok I guess the real question is, any benefits in terms of sound of individually wiring rather than bi-wiring or vice versa

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I purchased two separate 3m pair runs of Odyssey 2 at very reasonable prices when bi-wiring and made a hefty saving over the Odyssey 4 price, even on Fleabay. I must admit it does seem misleading at first, but they are effectively the same but seem to cost more for the so-called convenience.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
APatel8:Ok I guess the real question is, any benefits in terms of sound of individually wiring rather than bi-wiring or vice versa

Tricky question to answer. Debates rage about the effectiveness or otherwise of bi-wiring. It's very subjective and, I believe, down to the individual setup. When I tried it I was willing to swear there was an improvement, but maybe not that significant (and the Odyssey is not cheap!) Maybe you should start with standard runs and keep an eye open on Fleabay for bargains to move to bi-wiring later?

A

Anonymous

Sorry mate, I'm a complete idiot at hi fi (still) so I'm a bit confused. How did you bi-wire with the Odyssey 2? Two seperate runs would have given you (I think) 2 x 2 terminations on each end and if you used them for one speaker, that's just single wiring isn't it? I always thought bi-wiring was the 2-4 combo for each speaker calbe, and that it would in fact make it cheaper to do. Or did you just by the Odyssey 2 and then split one end into four conductors? I'm not sure if that's even possible lol.
I've probably confused myself :)

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
APatel8:
Sorry mate, I'm a complete idiot at hi fi (still) so I'm a bit confused. How did you bi-wire with the Odyssey 2? Two seperate runs would have given you (I think) 2 x 2 terminations on each end and if you used them for one speaker, that's just single wiring isn't it? I always thought bi-wiring was the 2-4 combo for each speaker calbe, and that it would in fact make it cheaper to do.

emotion-1.gif
Probably my fault. I purchased two pairs of Odyssey 2 cables completely separately off Fleabay. So I effectively had 4x4, which is arguably the better method of bi-wiring than 2x4. Search the forum for bi-wiring advice and diagrams for greater clarity. So, basically, if the amp (and speakers) have sufficient binding posts, two cables run from amp to each speaker; one for the low frequency, and one for the high frequency of each channel (left and right).

There are those who will happily explain with greater knowledge and ability than I.
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

ESP2009:APatel8: Sorry mate, I'm a complete idiot at hi fi (still) so I'm a bit confused. How did you bi-wire with the Odyssey 2? Two seperate runs would have given you (I think) 2 x 2 terminations on each end and if you used them for one speaker, that's just single wiring isn't it? I always thought bi-wiring was the 2-4 combo for each speaker calbe, and that it would in fact make it cheaper to do.

emotion-1.gif
Probably my fault. I purchased two pairs of Odyssey 2 cables completely separately off Fleabay. So I effectively had 4x4, which is arguably the better method of bi-wiring than 2x4. Search the forum for bi-wiring advice and diagrams for greater clarity. So, basically, if the amp (and speakers) have sufficient binding posts, two cables run from amp to each speaker; one for the low frequency, and one for the high frequency of each channel (left and right).

There are those who will happily explain with greater knowledge and ability than I.
emotion-10.gif

Ah thanks mate that makes sense! I thought bi-wiring was only done via the 2x4.. I thought the 4x4 was refered to as single wiring for some reason.

I guess my confusion now lies in what is the alternative to b-wiring. Is it one cable 2x2 for each speaker... more research required!

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Some years ago i tried bi wiring with the very same cable. Cant say i heard much difference.

However, i have read many forum posts where Arcam A85 owners bi amped and took their system to another level.

Big Chris has just posted a thread on the subject. I have seen A80 power amps sold 2nd hand for £200.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
IME, bi-wiring enhances the soundstage, separation and detail, also focusses and improves bass response, if an amp has four outputs for each speaker channel.

For example, with an Arcam amp you connect the amp and speakers '4 to 4' and have the amp's SP1 and SP2 selected simultaneously, which IME transforms an Arcam's performance from 'laid-back' to 'punchy and lively'. (I assume that, in effect, this setup can be replicated with a Rotel RA-1062?)

Meanwhile, bi-amp'ing accentuates the above benefits significantly.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I must say that I have not discovered much obvious benefit in using the Odysseys for bi-wiring, but when I bi-amped there was a definite improvement. My current setup is single-wired and works well. I will keep the spare Odyssey cables in case of developments.
emotion-5.gif

As I say, it all depends on your setup IMHO.

A

Anonymous

I've done biamping, biwiring with one amp and single wiring with one amp. IME there's more benefit to be gained by getting the best single wire you can with your budget as opposed to a cable half the price in biwire. Thus, if you really want to spend Oddy 4 money then get Epic. The only caveat would be if you intend to biamp later, in which case I'd still go for the single run now and add another later.

I think that the Odyssey 2 will be ideal for your system and that Oddy 4 or Epic would be OTT. Spend the difference on some Clear Audio mains cables.

EDIT In fact, there's been a lot of talk about Van Damme OFC cables. You could always try this stuff and spend the balance on a couple of mains cables.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I reckon Igglebert has a good point. A seasoned forum member who knows how to put forward a sensible and reasoned point of view and advice. Worth taking note. I will add my support to spending money on the Clearer Audio mains cables - I certainly heard an improvement, with greater sense of space.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:EDIT In fact, there's been a lot of talk about Van Damme OFC cables. You could always try this stuff and spend the balance on a couple of mains cables.

UP LC-OFC van damme
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Cheers guys,

Budget is about £60 to be honest, and don't want to go beyond that!

A

Anonymous

Also for the single wiring do you need the speaker links? Don't think I have them anymore..

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
ESP2009:I reckon Igglebert has a good point...
As do I, although when I swapped QED Silver Anniv' single-wire (£5.40/m) for QED Original Bi-Wire MkII (£5.85/m), IMHO the latter outperformed the former in terms of separation, soundstage and bass, albeit to the detriment of a smidge of top-end detail. Horses for (Arcam) courses?

Agree 100% re Clearer Audio mains cables.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

6th.replicant:ESP2009:I reckon Igglebert has a good point...As do I, although when I swapped QED Silver Anniv' single-wire (£5.40/m) for QED Original Bi-Wire MkII (£5.85/m), IMHO the latter outperformed the former in terms of separation, soundstage and bass, albeit to the detriment of a smidge of top-end detail. Horses for (Arcam) courses?Agree 100% re Clearer Audio mains cables.
emotion-21.gif

Are you guys talking about http://www.cleareraudio.com/reviews/hifichoice_silver-line_power.pdf £150?

A

Anonymous

Well, whichever fits the budget. I understand from other posters that the Copperline Alpha are good!

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
APatel8:
6th.replicant:ESP2009:I reckon Igglebert has a good point...As do I, although when I swapped QED Silver Anniv' single-wire (£5.40/m) for QED Original Bi-Wire MkII (£5.85/m), IMHO the latter outperformed the former in terms of separation, soundstage and bass, albeit to the detriment of a smidge of top-end detail. Horses for (Arcam) courses?Agree 100% re Clearer Audio mains cables.
emotion-21.gif

Are you guys talking about http://www.cleareraudio.com/reviews/hifichoice_silver-line_power.pdf £150?

Zounds! An 'undred 'n' nifty squid? Alas, no. I'm referring to this one.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:Well, whichever fits the budget. I understand from other posters that the Copperline Alpha are good!

Cheers will have a look. Gosh, I knew there was things you could upgrade, but never thought a mains product would be one of them!

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
APatel8:Also for the single wiring do you need the speaker links? Don't think I have them anymore..

you can just cut and strip a tiny length of whatever cable you decide on to act as the jumpers, this generally sounds better than using the jumpers.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
APatel8:

igglebert:Well, whichever fits the budget. I understand from other posters that the Copperline Alpha are good!

Cheers will have a look. Gosh, I knew there was things you could upgrade, but never thought a mains product would be one of them!

emotion-1.gif
You don't know the half of it! Just keep reading and see how opinions differ on the subject of what you could/should or should not upgrade...

As for the Copperline Alpha - at approx £30-35 it is well worth it. The Silverline is getting a bit 'silly' unless you have money to burn, but I did buy the Copperline version and was pleasantly surprised by the difference I heard. Another relatively cheap and arguably effective upgrade is the Tacima power block. Search the forums for discussions on that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts