Chord Mojo

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I treated myself to a Chord Mojo a few weeks ago, and I thought it might be nice to share my experience as a user review on this site. I am very surprised to find that this has not been added to the product database which prevents me from leaving feedback. So, here are a few comments.

My system is Bluesound Node 2 streaming source, DAC, Naim 202/200 amplifier with TP TeddyCap, NACA5 cable to Dynaudio Focus 160s. I have been working up over the last few years. It is not a top end system, but I really enjoy it and it can be impressive. I have been through a few DACs in recent years and had been quite happy with a Beresford Caiman 2. However, you know how dangerous upgradeitis can be, and after reading all the positive reviews of the Mojo, I had one on home demo. I was a bit worried about connecting it in, but my dealer loaned me the connections and it proved easy in the end. It looks like a portable device but get past that, because you really need to hear this little box.

I could give you the words about separation, imaging, natural sound, neutral tonality etc, but that would make it sound clinical. The Mojo is anything but that. You can, if you want, follow the individual instruments, they are all there, distinct, full of timbre and sound oh so real. The whole though is very much more than the sum of the parts, I have completely rediscovered my music library. Some people believe that all DACs sound the same, that is their prerogative, but the Mojo might just sway even the hardest heart. I know the technology is implemented differently to conventional DACs, and it works. My mate, a vinyl fan, asked me where I had hidden the deck. Needless to say, the dealer never got the Mojo back and I popped in the next week to buy it. He just smiled and commented that he has not yet had any returned after home demos.....

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Great review, thanks for sharing. I'm currently demo'ing various bits and working out the best way to stream music from a NAS on my wired network. I've tried the Rega DAC R so far which I have enjoyed. The Naim DAC V1 is also on my list but maybe I should check out the Chord Mojo. How do you connect from the streamer and into the amp? Optical? Does the Mojo plug into the wall?

Originally I thought the mojo was just for portable use? Does it plug into the mains?

Thanks

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi Blue Potato. The Mojo has a standard optical input and a 3.5mm digital coax input. It also has a micro USB input that you can use. Thus only optical takes a 'standard' connector, but adapters for the others are easy to find. Just one comment, to use the highest sampling rates then you need to use digital coax. Output is via 2 normal 3.5mm headphone sockets, but I got a splitter with no problem.

The Mojo has an internal battery which is claimed to give around 10 hours use, but it charges using a normal USB socket and thus a standard phone type adapter works provided it can give more than 1 Amp. It can charge and work at the same time, which might be useful.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
The DAC in the Bluesound Node 2 is very competent. It sounded great when I started using it from power up. However, the Beresford was a step up in detail and clarity. The Mojo, to me, is a different class. It is hard to really explain why, but it is almost as if it is recreating the music differently. Everything seems sharper and more detailed. If I had nothing other than the Bluesound then I would not complain, but it is like drinking fine champagne or fizzy pop from the local corner shop. You drink the fizzy pop, but it never tastes the same after you have had champagne.

I have compared the 3 DACs, in a bake off with mates. We all agreed on the Mojo.

insider9

NJB said:
The DAC in the Bluesound Node 2 is very competent.  It sounded great when I started using it from power up.  However, the Beresford was a step up in detail and clarity.  The Mojo, to me, is a different class.  It is hard to really explain why, but it is almost as if it is recreating the music differently.  Everything seems sharper and more detailed.  If I had nothing other than the Bluesound then I would not complain, but it is like drinking fine champagne or fizzy pop from the local corner shop.  You drink the fizzy pop, but it never tastes the same after you have had champagne.

I have compared the 3 DACs, in a bake off with mates.  We all agreed on the Mojo.
Thanks a lot

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Can the Mojo be updated to MQA?

No, but Chord are investigating the inclusion of hardware MQA decoding in some of their products.

Bear in mind that MQA decoding takes place on two levels, level one can be performed via an app (eg phone, then streamed to the mojo), but higher levels require hardware decoding.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I think that there are probably a few comparisons in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/749582/chord-electronics-2qute-dac-announced

In general the 2qute has some advantages for desktop use (eg galvanic isolation), and was usually reported to sound better than the mojo.

A word of caution is that Chord are refreshing their product line, starting with the Hugo 2, which for music reproduction, is now reported to be in second place compared to the DAVE, but cost only one sixth of the price.

So my suggestion would be to not rush out and buy a 2qute, but wait till the start of march when the Hugo 2 starts shipping, and check the reviews first.

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree with the OP. Chord Mojo was the only and lonely piece of equipment with the WOW factor inside in years for me. It definitely change the way you enjoy digital music. It has analytical and warm approach to the music in the same time.

There is nothing to compare with "commercial" names like Arcam, or Cambridge or so. It is in another league. Like the OP, I do still enjoy a Beresford Caiman II DAC, then - even if Beresford DAC products sound better than a lot of other DAC products - Mojo is in another league.

If you like analogical sound, if you still think - like me - nothing sound better compared to original vinyls on a decent turntable, Mojo is the way to go.

Finally a Chord piece of kit at a "human" price, definitely a great publicity spot for this usually very expensive company. Maybe thankx to Mojo someone will invest a lot of money in other Chord products.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts