Chord Hugo M Scaler, nonsense or worth buying?

mikkoV

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Bit perfect audio by the short signal paths with minimal wiring. I thought that's on the goal list of all audiophiles but hype about new 3500£ Chord Hugo M Scaler is trying to prove me wrong.

As I have understood, upscaling lowers sound quality and if your files are lossy you cannot recover lost information by upsampling.
Could someone tell us why to spend huge 3500£ to aluminum thrash to fill your room and to make you forget bit perfect audio?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Chord, not my cup of tea. Especially as I'm suffering from the tin ears & tight wallet syndrome. It's quite unfortunate, for them mostly.

Their industrial design always reminds me of a 70's LIP watch.

ac64a5b6c7436b569237f5e6650af337.jpg

Again, not a fan.

abacus

It’s up sampling, not upscaling (Which is used for video) and yes it can improve the sound, plus it has been in use for donkeys years (Both professional and domestic) so is well understood.

As to the cost, then if you have a megabucks system you may notice a small improvement, bit for mere mortals it is just complete overkill. (Better off getting a professional DAC for a fraction of the price)

Bill

mikkoV

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Sorry for typo, I meant upsampling.

So you and chord meaning that upsampling is better option than bit perfect? Hard to believe that's how it is.
While I read forums, I can see that some people prefer using it and some are saying that in decreases sound quality and rather wanna keep things bit perfect. Also Usb Audio Player has great settings for using upsampling but it has note: "usually gives LOWER quality due to resampling".

Sure, as a fan of Chord I believe this new scaler will make that operation with superb quality, more than 1 million taps sounds pretty amazing. But isnt the fact still the same, audio signal isn't the original and quality has been slightly lowered due to resampling?

I’ve just had this crazy idea. It’s a bit radical, but stick with me. How about we reserve judgement until actually hearing it, therefore being in a perfect position to factually comment on any difference it does or doesn’t actually make? As I say, it’s a bit crazy round these parts, but might help bring something useful to the discussion :)

Reactions: TheJoker

mikkoV

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
You are right, if it truly improves quality I could even consider buying it. But first I wanna read reviews and opinions about pros/cons. It would be nice to hear it myself but unfortunately I guess I wont get opportunity for that.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
You are right, if it truly improves quality I could even consider buying it. But first I wanna read reviews and opinions about pros/cons. It would be nice to hear it myself but unfortunately I guess I wont get opportunity for that.
There are nearly 10,000 posts abbout the MScaler on this forum https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hugo-m-scaler-by-chord-electronics-the-official-thread.885042/

I haven't bought one yet, but it has been on my shopping list for over a year so far.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts