tansriloi

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi Experts,

I am looking to upgrade my current amp, my set up consist of:

NAD C352 amp

NAD C542 cd

Dynaudio X12 and Monitor Audio RS6

Mainly i feel my amp is already 6 years old and I have 2 wonderful speakers. I have the following list of amp that I can get a hold on but hard to decide which is better as to go for?? I love to listen vocals and instruments. Looking for detail, punchy and agile amp.

The list:

Audiolab 8200a, Nad C356bee, Rotel RA-06se, Rotel RA-1520 and RA-12.

May also consider Rega Brio-R and Exposure 1010

Other brands is out of my reach

I would appreciate if anyone can give me some thoughts and suggestion. I would like to have an amp that i can switch between 2 speakers easily but sound quality is my utmost priority. Thanks guys.

matthewpiano

I find the Exposure 1010 is a very good combination with my Dynaudio DM2/6, so definitely worth trying. You might also want to try the 2010s2 as I believe the X12s are a bit harder to drive than the DM range.

tansriloi

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,

I am from a small town in Perth, Australia.

There is no dealers who stock Creek and for the brand Exposure is only the term order and pay, no demo.

There are too few dealers in my town. I can only follow according to the list of amps above which is within my budget.

tansriloi

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

i just picked up the dynaudio few days ago, it was on sale at 40% off. It was a clearance. Cyrus 6a here is so overpriced, its double the price of the audiolab 8200a.

Ok, I will state down the price on every individual amp in my list in Aud dollar which I am able obtain. You guys let me know which is the best value.

Audiolab 8200 $999, Nad C356bee $899, Rega Brio-R $999,

Rotel Ra-06se $700, Rotel $Ra-12 $825, Rotel Ra-1520 $999,

Exposure 1010 $799, Exposure 2010s2 $1199

Thats pretty much it.

tansriloi said:
Hi,

i just picked up the dynaudio few days ago, it was on sale at 40% off. It was a clearance. Cyrus 6a here is so overpriced, its double the price of the audiolab 8200a.

Ok, I will state down the price on every individual amp in my list in Aud dollar which I am able obtain. You guys let me know which is the best value.

Audiolab 8200 $999, Nad C356bee $899, Rega Brio-R $999,

Rotel Ra-06se $700, Rotel $Ra-12 $825, Rotel Ra-1520 $999,

Exposure 1010 $799, Exposure 2010s2 $1199

Thats pretty much it.

Hi,

I know it is the most expensive one on your list but I still think it would offer best value, I'd go for the Exposure 2010s2.

This would be followed by Rega, then the RA-1520 as second and third choices. That's purely my opinion though assuming the Dyn's are going to be your main speakers.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
If those are your only options, then bite the bullet and go for the better Exposure.

I have not heard all the options but the 2010 is in an elite group of sub £1000 amplifiers (with the Creek and the Croft) that set the performance standard for that level in the UK.

Given that the 2010 is £900+ here, the dollar price looks very fair.

The smaller 1010 might do the job but I would not risk it without a dem, pay the extra and get the better model.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I ahve not heard tye Exposure yet, but it looks a fair price. The Rega looks over priced and I think it will have problems driving the Dyns. Can you get auditions there. Audiolab maybe too neatral/lean? I doubt Cyrus would be a good match either.

davedotco said:
If those are your only options, then bite the bullet and go for the better Exposure.

I have not heard all the options but the 2010 is in an elite group of sub £1000 amplifiers (with the Creek and the Croft) that set the performance standard for that level in the UK.

The smaller 1010 might do the job but I would not risk it without a dem, pay the extra and get the better model.

Agree with this, The 2010S2 is available for £850 this makes it nearly twice the price of the 1010.

It is, however, in a different league to the 1010, and a bargain at that price.

tansriloi

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi fellow Experts,

I spoken to the NAD dealer, they suggested there is only minor sound improvements on the C356bee over my current Nad.

Alright pretty much Exposure amps looks like a winner but How about the Rotels? Between the three models, is the Ra-1520 the best? All three model pretty priced competitively.

matthewpiano

davedotco said:

Agreed.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
As your NAD's still working another idea is to use it as a pre-amp and buy a power amp. Something like Rotels RB1552 MkII would give plenty of power for both sets of speakers. NAD also do power amps.

T

the record spot

Can you demo some of these? I have my doubts throwing money at an amp in the hope it works well with your speakers is the best way forward. Will you be able to exchange? Can you demo any of these with the speakers you'll be using most?

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Do you have a dealer that you can audition the Unison Research Unico range of amplifiers? Not sure of the pricing in Australia and if any willl fit within your budget, but I do know that I had one some years back and it's really a lovely hybrid design that has the power of solid state and the beauty of tubes. It was better than any of the solid state designs I also had from Roksan, Cyrus, Rotel and NAD.

tansriloi

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi Guys,

just a quick question, between the Rotel's Ra-12 and Ra-06se, which is actually a better sounding machine?

can anyone give me some thoughts?

does the difference of 10watts makes one better than the other as they are from the same company?

thanks.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
I would just go with the RA-12 which is a current model, rather than the RA-06SE which seems to be a superseded model, unless you can get the latter at a much discounted price. But for the AUD125 difference, I would go for the RA-12. Some may dispute the logic of this and say that the newer model is not necessarily better sounding, but I would just rather get the latest rather than a 4 year old model. Similarly, I would also not pay the AUD174 premium to get the RA-1520 which is a model that has been around for more than 4 years.

The RA-12 also has some useful features that many new amplifiers seem to have such as an in-built DAC.

And no, you can't tell which is better sounding based on the 10 watts difference in power.

I would agree with the others here that from purely a sound quality standpoint, that the Exposure 2010s2 is the best of your shortlist.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi I wanted to reply as I Have upgraded My NAD C352 to a ROTEL RA05SE The reason i say that is i Suspect you like the NAD sound rhythm and strong bass. I auditioned other amps before choosing the ROTEL the rotel has a very similar sound to the NAd so i would Go for the ROTEL You mention different model AMP to my Rotel Ra05 se But i suspect the sound will be the same with your ROTEL Choices...

I auditioned Amps from ARCAM , Marantz and naim So if you cant try for yourself i feel the ROTEL will appeal to your sound taste....

Also conisder a power Amp this may help things if you are happy with your NAD

Hope this help

tansriloi

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone,

thanks guys for the advice and contribution, i appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

i now have a clear mind and ready to demo some of the suggested amps.

thank you very much.

TRENDING THREADS