Choosing new set of interconnects for home cinema

jsl20

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I've just upgraded to a new home cinema set up: Tannoy HTS 101 and Yammy V377. I'm going to sell the old system as is, so will need a complete new setup of cables: 2 x HDMI, sub cable and speaker cable for five speakers worth length. I've got a relatively small lounge so I think I'll need about 15m of speaker cable.

I'm going on the old 10% rule for total cost of interconnects. Which cable type will I get the best value for money when buying the interconnects? ie. is it worth getting an OK sub cable and making sure the speaker cables are decent etc?

Current thoughts are to get QED classic or similar speaker cable. I think the Carnival Silver Screen I'm using on my hifi might be a little over kill! I'm not too sure about sub cable yet, then I was thinking a relatively cheap HDMI cable.

Any recommendations welcome!

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi there and welcome to the forums.

I don't know if you have read any of the other posts regarding cables before choosing to ask your question, but they all usually end in the same way with a mass slanging match between those who recommend you should spend more and those who think all cable's are the same no matter how much you budget for them.

These type of questions tend to go on for an average of 20 pages or until everyone forgets what the original question was.

Sorry to be on a downer with the first reply but I've seem so many of these type of questions go down the same route.

*dash1*

jsl20

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
macdiddy said:
Hi there and welcome to the forums.

This is actually WHF account mark 2. They seem to have deleted my old account when the website went all "jazzy."

I'm aware of the usual cables slagging match, "you must spend £100 on an HDMI" etc, but wanted to see if anyone had any sensible advice.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Working HDMI cables perform exactly the same. I suggest Amazon basic cable.

Speaker cable. Make sure it's thick enough for the length. A quality basic cable will do. I usually suggest Van Damme as they are used in pro-audio.

The 10% rule was invented by retailers trying to squeeze extra profit...It's nonsense. The same cable will work just as well on a Denon Mini system as it will on esoteric exotica...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts