Question Choosing between Sonos Move and B&O Beolit 17/20

Manav

Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
I'm not exactly an audiophile but I listen to various genres. Considering to buy a good semi portable bluetooth speaker, I've narrowed down my research to B&o beolit 17/20 vs Sonos move.
I haven't tested any of the above so need you guys to help me out from here to decide which one should I choose among the two and why?
I'm sure lot of users are looking for an answer to these choices and it'd be great to get your feedback.

If you already have a Sonos multiroom setup, then Move will be the logical choice. If not and are starting from scratch, I would go for B&O. I find my Sonos Move often turns itself off to conserve energy. So if I want to play from it, I can't find it readily as my other Sonos speakers even when on its dock and connected to the mains. I have to turn it on and then it appears on the app. Beolit sounds fantastic! I'm not sure whether Beolit does the same (it probably would if battery operated).

Reactions: Manav

Manav

Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
In terms of pure sound, Sonos Move is amazing as well. I haven't compared the two side by side, so cannot comment on which one is better.
Thanks for your response.
To add, I'm comfortable with the features offered by both the products, just looking out for a pure sound comparison bw these prods.

Manav

Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
[
If you already have a Sonos multiroom setup, then Move will be the logical choice. If not and are starting from scratch, I would go for B&O. I find my Sonos Move often turns itself off to conserve energy. So if I want to play from it, I can't find it readily as my other Sonos speakers even when on its dock and connected to the mains. I have to turn it on and then it appears on the app. Beolit sounds fantastic! I'm not sure whether Beolit does the same (it probably would if battery operated).
Yeah, it is battery operated. Need to check if it has a standby mode which turns it on when played. Sonos might as well andd the feature in their soft updates in future.

Last edited:
Incidentally, the Move has replaced Sonos One in one of my rooms in the house (because I took the Sonos One to my apartment for Arc based 5.1 system). Move has a much stronger bass and goes way louder. Music separation is a bit better on the One. For large rooms and outdoors, Move is better. For smaller rooms, Sonos One will be better. That test seems to have been done in a small room. Move is portable and has Bluetooth. So it depends on your needs. Beolit is a compelling option.

Check this video:

View: https://youtu.be/IEYdPYjU0yU

Manav

Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
Incidentally, the Move has replaced Sonos One in one of my rooms in the house (because I took the Sonos One to my apartment for Arc based 5.1 system). Move has a much stronger bass and goes way louder. Music separation is a bit better on the One. For large rooms and outdoors, Move is better. For smaller rooms, Sonos One will be better. That test seems to have been done in a small room. Move is portable and has Bluetooth. So it depends on your needs. Beolit is a compelling option.

Check this video:

View: https://youtu.be/IEYdPYjU0yU
Yeah have to agree with you there. None the less, Beolit is portable and has great bass, music separation and it gets loud. So I'll go for Beolit unless I encounter a device with similar weight and (small) dimensions.
Now I have totally new version of the issue that it's not available in India and I trying to get it from overseas.

Thanks for your inputs, much appreciated.

Manav

Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
What part of India do you live? Are there any stockists in India?
I'm right now in northern region - Delhi (capital)
but I work in west & will move there next year (Bombay)
There are a couple of stores but they're all temperorily shut due to corona virus, and no one from my known is travelling from overseas.
I was looking for international delivery from amazon but the additional customs tax is exactly the price of the product so that way it's costing me double yhe price. That's too hefty to bear.

Yes, taxes in India is quite high. I'm from Mumbai but living in the UK for the past 17 years. The challenge for you is having to buy a premium product without a demo. Importing removes the option of returning if you're not happy. So waiting for the shops to open so you can demo would be the best way forward. B&O store is in High Street Phoneix at Lower Parel in Mumbai when stores open.

Last edited:

Mektoo

May 25, 2021
Visit site
I'm not exactly an audiophile but I listen to various genres. Considering to buy a good semi portable bluetooth speaker, I've narrowed down my research to B&o beolit 17/20 vs Sonos move.
I haven't tested any of the above so need you guys to help me out from here to decide which one should I choose among the two and why?
I'm sure lot of users are looking for an answer to these choices and it'd be great to get your feedback.
In terms of pure sound, Sonos Move is amazing as well. I haven't compared the two side by side, so cannot comment on which one is better.

Choosing between Sonos Move and B&O Beolit 17/20

Hello
I have exactly the same problem with choosing between Sonos Move and B&O Beolit 20.

What about hifi codecs. Will the old versions of the codecs in Beolit 20 significantly affect the quality of the sound ? It seems that Sonos Move is better in this aspect, unfortunately it is also only a mono speaker and Beolit 20 plays stereo sound.

Which one should I choose considering sound quality only ???
Or maybe there is 3 better option?
greetings
Tom

In terms of sound, I haven't heard the Beolit. But stereo speakers will sound better than mono speakers on paper. Only a demo to compare can confirm. What I do know is that the B&O speakers that I have heard so far all have sounded phenomenal. I have the B&O H95 headphones which is stunning.

Bear in mind other features like Beolit doesn't have an official IP rating, so not recommended in places where it may get wet.

If you're not invested in the Sonos ecosystem, a Beolit will make more sense.

TWilemanMK2

May 26, 2021
Visit site
the B&O will act as a pair if you can afford 2... i have an old Beolit 15 for my office and a new 20 for taking out and about but they wont pair as that facility was from 17 onwards. tried the sonos system (Sonos One) but had no end of problems so moving the bulk of the house set up to BlueSound now...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts