Choosing a recievr

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello

I am about to buy a 5.1 reciever and I am new to this area.
I have read several articles about different receivers and I found some terms that I would like to get some information about them, since I am not sure I really understand them and really need them on the reciever.

- Upscaling to 1080p - What exactly do I get from this? Would low resolution movies or broadcast will display better?
- Analog To HDMI Upconversion
- Audio Return Channel - Do I need this if I coonect my devices with HDMI to the TV and with Audio cable to the reciever?
- Multi channel input

Thank you ,

Ilan

A

Anonymous

mozesi said:
Hello

I am about to buy a 5.1 reciever and I am new to this area.
I have read several articles about different receivers and I found some terms that I would like to get some information about them, since I am not sure I really understand them and really need them on the reciever.

- Upscaling to 1080p - What exactly do I get from this? Would low resolution movies or broadcast will display better?

I use this feature with Sky SD channels and pass through and let the Receiver do the upscaling. But i feel the difference between letting the AV Receiver and my Samsung TV minimal

- Analog To HDMI Upconversion

Composite SD upscaling to HDMI, something useful for say old SD sat box, Wii, SNES even, though i feel TV does just as good job (Samsung 46c8000)

- Audio Return Channel - Do I need this if I coonect my devices with HDMI to the TV and with Audio cable to the reciever?

If you plan on using the Tuner within the TV i would say this is important, or plan on playing media on a TV via USB stick - Personally i've never used it other than passing back sound from when my 360 wasnt connected via optical cable)

- Multi channel input

Never used it myself, only for use when a BD player decodes HD sound when your Receiver cant

Thank you ,

Ilan

I'd seriously think about your budget and feature berfore you buy, I jumped straight in last summer and bought the Yamaha 667 for £495 inc 5 year warranty. But it can be had for £250 now 9 months on, so its more financially viable to purchase last years AV equipment! I would of did this myself but i needed 3D and HDMI v1.4

The AV Receiver is fantastic though, I only wish id had dual HDMI out now though as i want to upgrade and get a Projector.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts