Choice of HC speakers and AV receiver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As a reader for many years I appreciate this forum and would like to take advantage of other peoples opinions.

I am looking to upgrade my home cinema system to tie in with a plasma purchase (prob Pioneer 428 but will read the group test first!).

My current system

Arcam Alpha 7 CD player (about 10 years old)

Marantz SR4200 Receiver/amp

MJ Acoustics Pro 50 sub

DVD/HD to be added

The room

The room is 12ft x 18ft. Due to the layout of the fire place the viewing area is at one end. This means the viewing distance is 9ft. (still may go for the 508 tho!?)

I have young children so am possibly considering wall mounted speakers.

Questions

Would a newer replacement for the AV receiver/amp perform noticeably better than the SR4200?

Is there much difference between the £3-400 receivers, e.g. Sony 1200, Onkyo 605 and the £600 e.g. Sony 5200, Onkyo 705 when used in my sort of room with the speakers below? Not so worried about features more sound.

Speakers I am considering are the Monitor Audio Radius 225 with my pro 50, also considering the Kef iQ5 based package. Its mainly for HC use -which would be best in that room?

I look forward to your reply

Regards

Gareth George

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Don't think WHFSV has tested the Onkyo 705, but the 605 is an exceptional receiver for the money, and would be the one I suggest you go for at this level. And yes, i think it will be a step up from your current receiver.

In a room that size I'd be tempted to go for the iQ5 package, but if you have to wall-mount the speakers the Monitor Audio speakers would be a viable alternative.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the quick reply!

The 605 is looking likely, just more of a general point re the laws of diminishing returns really! In my set up (likely speakers and room size etc) do amps that are double the price actually sound that different for HC?

Re the iq5's, do you think they would sound much better? -obviously the box is much bigger for front and centre, and would the difference be in Hifi or HC or both?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I think the iQ5s would certainly sound better, both for music and movies, and reading between the lines yes the TX-SR875 would be superb with that speaker set-up in a room that size.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again,

Just looking at the thread and seeing my user name with the shadowy figure -looks me look like I should also be typing in a disguised voice!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts