Chinese wonders

insider9

Has anybody got any experience with Chinese made headphones. I don't mean the brands we all know that decided to shift their production to China. I'm wondering about the Chinese designed and made headphones.

One of my mates orders quite a bit from Chinese websites. He recently came across headphones that use 50mm beryllium drivers. Closed back, decent specs and low impedance. He got himself an open box pair and it sadly came damaged. One of the drivers snapped off.

He only paid about $50. I've seen but not heard them. The build quality looked decent in all fairness and should they came fully working they'd look easily worth as much. Sound wise I cannot tell as we didn't test them.

I remember when China started making tablets etc. at first they were large and technically sub par. Nowadays there are some decently made devices with good specs and it's mostly software that suffers. No software with headphones :) I'm aware of hassle should things go wrong but at under $100 am tempted.

Would it be a waste of money, calculated gamble or smart choice? Any experiences or advice, please. Thanks

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
You don't want beryllium in the same building, let alone on your head.

Individuals with beryllium sensitization are at risk for developing a debilitating disease of the lungs called chronic beryllium disease (CBD) if they inhale airborne beryllium after becoming sensitized. Beryllium-exposed workers may also develop other adverse health effects such as acute beryllium disease, and lung cancer.

berylium vapor on copper, but still, very hazardous material. Pioneer/TAD had a lot of issues with their beryllium twitters breaking during transport or installation. Once it breaks, you call the people in hazmat suits.

Regarding Chinese made cans I have no experience, only with DACs and head amps.

insider9

Indeed, initial reaction not good at all. I've read about beryllium being toxic etc. At the same time I know Focal uses as it's characteristics are excellent and could far outperform aluminium for example.

What can you tell me about other Chinese gear you have experience with?

Edit
Thanks for the link will give it a read.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I purchased SMSL sAp II headphone amp and SMSL M2 DAC, both for ~$100. Sound was excellent, no issues and the amp was effortles even with my 600ohm AKGs.
However, I noticed a tingling effect on my skin if i brushed my hand against the case (live current). I presumed the power brick had something wrong with it. So I ordered a $50 linear PSU in a separate aluminium box from Breeze Audio on ebay, another Chinese Shenzhen manufacturer. This solved the issue and I got even less noise.
All was well for a year, I was a happy Chinese audio customer. Then suddenly, but not surprisingly, Windows made an update that bricked my M2 DAC by wiping out the eprom. So thats gone, but the amp and PSU still work flawlessly for full 2 years. I have no intention of changing them till they keep working.
Regarding cans, I was looking into Takstar, ppl recommend them a lot. Someday I may consider trying a pair.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Thanks for that, Vladimir.

The ones he got are called Blon Bosshifi B8. He actually listened to the one working and said they sound good.

They look good too.
thumbs_up.png

However, the name is HORRENDOUS. Blon Bosshifi B8 *wacko*

insider9

Vladimir said:
insider9 said:

The ones he got are called Blon Bosshifi B8. He actually listened to the one working and said they sound good.

They look good too.

However, the name is HORRENDOUS. Blon Bosshifi B8 *wacko*
Except for obvious damage the build seemed decent. More than I'd expect from headphones at that price range. Thick padding, looked really decent and large which I prefer.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:
insider9 said:

They look good too.

However, the name is HORRENDOUS. Blon Bosshifi B8 *wacko*
Except for obvious damage the build seemed decent. More than I'd expect from headphones at that price range. Thick padding, looked really decent and large which I prefer.

Maybe thats how they come from the factory. BloWn Bosshifi B8 *biggrin*

insider9

Vladimir said:
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:
insider9 said:

They look good too.

However, the name is HORRENDOUS. Blon Bosshifi B8 *wacko*

Maybe thats how they come from the factory. BloWn Bosshifi B8 *biggrin*
Hahaha :biggrin:

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:

Individuals with beryllium sensitization are at risk for developing a debilitating disease of the lungs called chronic beryllium disease (CBD) if they inhale airborne beryllium after becoming sensitized. Beryllium-exposed workers may also develop other adverse health effects such as acute beryllium disease, and lung cancer.

berylium vapor on copper, but still, very hazardous material. Pioneer/TAD had a lot of issues with their beryllium twitters breaking during transport or installation. Once it breaks, you call the people in hazmat suits.

I spent an hour just now going through some sites that describe the metal, where it comes from, industrial uses, toxicity, etc. etc. Most industrial metals are hazardous when spilled into the air and breathed, but since beryllium is difficult to extract/produce, and very expensive, you ordinarily won't have a lot of it in the air where you breathe. That said, I wouldn't be worried about having beryllium drivers in a headphone like the Focal Utopia, as long as the drivers aren't over-driven and blow up. The $4000 USD cost of the Utopia should indicate great quality control to keep the driver elements well-sealed, and even if you bought a much lower-cost headphone containing beryllium drivers that was questionable in terms of its quality control, it's unlikely to contain *real* beryllium anyway, because of the expense.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
dalethorn said:
Vladimir said:

I spent an hour just now going through some sites that describe the metal, where it comes from, industrial uses, toxicity, etc. etc. Most industrial metals are hazardous when spilled into the air and breathed, but since beryllium is difficult to extract/produce, and very expensive, you ordinarily won't have a lot of it in the air where you breathe. That said, I wouldn't be worried about having beryllium drivers in a headphone like the Focal Utopia, as long as the drivers aren't over-driven and blow up. The $4000 USD cost of the Utopia should indicate great quality control to keep the driver elements well-sealed, and even if you bought a much lower-cost headphone containing beryllium drivers that was questionable in terms of its quality control, it's unlikely to contain *real* beryllium anyway, because of the expense.

Beryllium driver and "Beryllium driver" obviously as price indicates is not the same, the later having a catch. Using powder to apply thin layer of beryllium on a metal diaphragm to extend the HF response, thus the breakup mode and its harmonics away from audible, is not that expensive apparently.

RBH HP-2s cost $200 and have "beryllium drivers".

The HP-2 utilizes our 45mm diameter driver diaphragm that incorporates a beryllium surface that has been applied using a technique called, “thermal physical vapor deposition.” This micro-thin layer of beryllium provides an extended frequency response (10Hz to 40,000 Hz) that is much more linear than conventional driver diaphragm materials.

Or maybe Chang, the guy that designed those aluminium drivers in the Blown Bosshifi B8 has a nickname Bery. We shall never know. *biggrin*

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
dalethorn said:
Vladimir said:

Beryllium driver and "Beryllium driver" obviously as price indicates is not the same, the later having a catch. Using powder to apply thin layer of beryllium on a metal diaphragm to extend the HF response, thus the breakup mode and its harmonics away from audible, is not that expensive apparently.

RBH HP-2s cost $200 and have "beryllium drivers".

The HP-2 utilizes our 45mm diameter driver diaphragm that incorporates a beryllium surface that has been applied using a technique called, “thermal physical vapor deposition.” This micro-thin layer of beryllium provides an extended frequency response (10Hz to 40,000 Hz) that is much more linear than conventional driver diaphragm materials.

Or maybe Chang, the guy that designed those aluminium drivers in the Blown Bosshifi B8 has a nickname Bery. We shall never know. *biggrin*

If you hold the Focal headphone in your hand and watch while gently blowing on the driver, the excursion will amaze you. The beryllium (I assume) is the main ingredient in the driver, not a "micro-thin coating". But the only issue I was responding to was the possible safety issues, and I don't see the Focal being an issue unless the driver explodes or something similar. A cheaper driver might be a problem if the coating comes off, but who knows?

insider9

I think these comments are very fair. First of all difficult to verify if there's any beryllium. Secondly if there is how safe would it be from unknown manufacturer. Not only that but from a country where perhaps such concerns are dismissed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts