Chinese wall of sound.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Speakers once manufactuerd in u.k and the rest of europe are now produced in the far east. I read that speakers made in China do not sound the same and differ to their once western produced originals. B.W, Kef etc. Myth or fact ?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
They sound exactly how the manufacturer wants them to sound, otherwise they wouldn't put them on sale. *squintysarcastichermionegrangerface*

What do you think they actually do in China, make the stuff from bamboo and chopsticks? The factories out there would put most facilities in the UK to shame, the only thing that's cheap is the labour and that won't last forever.

Myth or fact? Idiotic prejudice.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Manufacturers like Rotel have been made in China for years, and it's build quality is excellent for the money, but it is built in a factory owned by B&W. The same goes for a number of other manufacturers who build and test to their own spec, so you can be assured it all sounds as it should do. It's only really unauthorised production that's an issue, like that that ended Miller & Kreisel.

Personally, I think all manufacture should be moved back to the UK - it'd create jobs and support our economy. The downside is that we would have to pay more for products. Worthwhile, I feel.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Personally, I think all manufacture should be moved back to the UK - it'd create jobs and support our economy. The downside is that we would have to pay more for products. Worthwhile, I feel.

It's no different to the service industry, every cheap centre of manufacture ends up becoming more expensive as the low-paid workers decide they don't want to be low paid any more. Sooner or later it ends up being no cheaper to do things abroad as it does at home, so there won't be any point off-shoring. Of course by that time fabrication in the home might well be a reality...

A

Anonymous

The_Lhc said:
They sound exactly how the manufacturer wants them to sound, otherwise they wouldn't put them on sale. *squintysarcastichermionegrangerface*

What do you think they actually do in China, make the stuff from bamboo and chopsticks? The factories out there would put most facilities in the UK to shame, the only thing that's cheap is the labour and that won't last forever.

Blimey which side of the bed did you crawl out of this morning ? I stated that i had read articles and comments made by others. Its not my opinion, i was asking thoughts of others. So before spouting off get your facts right! :shhh:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
FATS 2828 said:
The_Lhc said:

Blimey which side of the bed did you crawl out of this morning ? I stated that i had read articles and comments made by others. Its not my opinion, i was asking thoughts of others. So before spouting off get your facts right! :shhh:

There's nothing wrong with the facts in what I wrote and the tone works whether it's your opinion or not, whoever holds the opinion that you "read" needs to do a bit more thinking before they speak. Besides, why do you need other people's thoughts, you should be able to work that out for yourself. Businesses don't tend to do things that harms the sales of their products, therefore it stands to reason that there isn't actually anything wrong with the manufacturing techniques in China, otherwise the businesses wouldn't use them.

Remember the company that is generally regarded as having excellent build quality has almost all their products made in China (Apple). If that doesn't give the lie to what you've "read" I don't know what does.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

It's no different to the service industry, every cheap centre of manufacture ends up becoming more expensive as the low-paid workers decide they don't want to be low paid any more. Sooner or later it ends up being no cheaper to do things abroad as it does at home, so there won't be any point off-shoring. Of course by that time fabrication in the home might well be a reality...

Agreed Lhc. Absolutely. Only problem is that while everyone's had their kit made in China over the years, our manufacturing infrastructure has diluted terribly. Even if we still had it, we don't have the skills that we once had ( apprenticeships etc ).

It would be lovely to see it all come home but if it did, I don't think we could cope, with all the re-investment in infrastructure and the like. Think the next place to knock us about is going to be India.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
The_Lhc said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

Agreed Lhc. Absolutely. Only problem is that while everyone's had their kit made in China over the years, our manufacturing infrastructure has diluted terribly. Even if we still had it, we don't have the skills that we once had ( apprenticeships etc ).

Yes, it did cross my mind to wonder if anyone would still know which end of a soldering iron to hold by the time that comes around (and I say that as someone whose soldering skills were on the legendary end of dreadful...). There is still large scale manufacturering in the UK though (the car industry springs to mind) but possibly not in the right sectors.

It would be lovely to see it all come home but if it did, I don't think we could cope, with all the re-investment in infrastructure and the like. Think the next place to knock us about is going to be India.

Yes, although, from the evidence of call centre workers at least, wages are already rising there, sooner or later (later probably) we're going to run out of countries with large supplies of cheaper labour. I expect automation would have taken over by then.

A

Anonymous

I've spent the lst 10 years of my life sourcing from overseas (not hi fi admittedly but the principles are the same). They are highly organised, have meticulous attention to detail and are extremely well motivated. There are some duff factories but generally they are modern, very well equipped (often with Western technology so maybe all is not lost, until of curse they copy that as well!). They may not have the R & D expertise we have (yet!), but give them something to copy or duplicate and they will get it right to the millimetre. Maybe some kit does sound different, of course it could sound better as well. I drive a Korean car. never misses a beat, preceded by a half baked effort from the West Midlands which cost me an arm and a leg to keep on the road.

India is a different proposition, charming people but they promise a lot and deliver little in my experience. Great salesmen but not as organised as the Chinese. However they will get there I guess sooner or later.

Does Chinese stuff sound different, or better, or worse? Frankly I'm not too fussed as long as its a good deal and sounds good to my ears.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Not necessarily true, when companies move manufacturing overseas they make an approximate 30% saving on the product. This saving rarely gets passed onto the end consumer it's just extra cash in the bank, they also then don't have all the UK overheads such as the manufacturing plant etc etc double win win.

Dyson are a good example of this, they built a good reputation on UK built & designed products. When they had cornered a good proportion of the market manufacturing was moved overseas. I didn't see the price of there products drop did you.

iceman16

I don't underestimate made in China or assembled in China at all. My iphone4 was assembled in China and so others and it did'nt let me down even once. There are some manufacturers of valve/tube amps from China which sounds crap and unreliable.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
"Speakers once manufactuerd in U.K. and the rest of europe are now produced in the far east. I read that speakers made in China do not sound the same and differ to their once western produced originals. B.W, Kef etc. Myth or fact?"

The latest Quad Electrostatic loudspeakers sound much better and ther build quality is far superior!

A

Anonymous

Not hifi I know, but I read recently that the chinese copies of Rolex watches are better than the originals, and are so good, that most Rolex delears cannot tell the difference.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
In a few more years we'll probably all be working for Chinese bosses in English sweat-shops...only the brand names will still be English :help:

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Lee H said:
eggontoast said:
Lee H said:
The_Lhc said:
What do you think they actually do in China, make the stuff from bamboo and chopsticks?

Aren't chopsticks traditionally made from bamboo?
Apparently its more hygienic, to do with the grain in the wood not having any little nooks an crannies like other woods.

Acoustically superior too
For the table top drum solo's 8)

iceman16

chinese cooking than conventional Sunday dinner what?roast pork,lamb, turkey,chicken with gravy ,mint sauce,yorkshire puds,from pubs to restaurants.Sorry n fish n chips all year every friday in n/homes?HELP!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
iceman16 said:
chinese cooking than conventional Sunday dinner what?roast pork,lamb, turkey,chicken with gravy ,mint sauce,yorkshire puds,from pubs to restaurants.Sorry n fish n chips all year every friday in n/homes?HELP!

Is there a sentence in there somewhere?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts