Cheers, Amazon. I owe you a beer.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
My Amazon account recommended an artist to me. I'd never heard of her, but I thought i'd take a punt.

5103rbZqv%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Anna Calvi. It's her debut album. I'm giving it a first spin now, and it's great. Her music is sort of a bit 'Mazzy Star' and a bit 'Bat For Lashes'. Her record company have done her proud. They've spent some money here, as the production is first rate. Also, the record is 180g and comes in a gatefold sleeve with card inner sleeve. Impressive for a debut artist. They must be confident that this girls gonna be big.

Well worth checking out.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Indeed. She was featured on last month's Uncut magazine free CD, a track called "Suzanne and I", and I had marked her down for further listening when I got a chance.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:Has anyone tried Paloma Faith? My wife got it for Christmas and we haven't been able to stop playing it!

I don't have her album, but have heard a few of her tracks. She's a talented songwriter, with a knack for catchy melodies. I think her quirky personality/appearance caused some people to dismiss her as a poor man's GaGa (I was one of 'em, before seeing the light!) and not really pay attention to her music.

Is her album available on Vinyl. Mitch?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:
mitch65:Has anyone tried Paloma Faith? My wife got it for Christmas and we haven't been able to stop playing it!

I don't have her album, but have heard a few of her tracks. She's a talented songwriter, with a knack for catchy melodies. I think her quirky personality/appearance caused some people to dismiss her as a poor man's GaGa (I was one of 'em, before seeing the light!) and not really pay attention to her music.

Is her album available on Vinyl. Mitch?

Not yet but I will certainly grab it if does.

If you pass Little Common roundabout on your travels keep a look out for the new record shop there, haven't been inside yet....but with the new deck the temptation is there.....

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the tip Bretty, I just checked out Anna Calvi. Amazing singer!

Jack

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Definitely try Paloma Faith she has a great voice and some really good songs. I saw her live in Leicester and she know how to let go and get a bit rocky. Well worth a punt.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I know this is a TT thread but.....

I think Anna Calvi is on Domino records, I have the new Tricky album on vinyl and also received a free coupon to download the album as either 320 mp3 or WAV. This is an excellent idea and one I wish more companies would do. I love the TT sound at home but also like to take my music anywhere as do a lot of travelling, time in the gym etc so use an iPod, this gives me the best of both

Amyl Right Mate

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
jimbofisher:I think Anna Calvi is on Domino records, I have the new Tricky album on vinyl and also received a free coupon to download the album as either 320 mp3 or WAV. This is an excellent idea and one I wish more companies would do. I love the TT sound at home but also like to take my music anywhere as do a lot of travelling, time in the gym etc so use an iPod, this gives me the best of both

Plenty of labels are doing this now and I think indies are leading the way. I have had releases on Angular, Asthmatic Kitty, Domino, Ninja Tune, Sub Pop, Matador, Mexican Summer, Thrill Jockey, Type (years ago) et al that've come with d/l codes.

Even better are the like of Warp (if you order through bleep.com) and labels such as First Word or Ghost Box, with Band Camp or Greedbag stores respectively, that offer instant downloads as the times of purchase - genuinely bringing all the convenience of MP3 to vinyl buyers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts