Cheapest Denon 2500BT - finally bought!

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Through sheer google mastery and dogged determination, I managed to find the Denon 2500 for £599, so I've just walked away from Richer Sounds with it for a price-beating £589. I'm pretty conffident you can't get it any cheaper than that (at the moment), but if anyone knows of any cheaper place, please tell me so I can get a refund!!

Incidentally, the "scintillating" SD pictures that allegedly come from this machine, were they got by sending the pictures down as they oome and processing them through an AV, or achieved using the on-board processing? (Obviously this question goes to the person who did the review- the likelihood of them seeing it being nil)

A

Anonymous

Darn, beat me by £11, good effort. Ordered mine from TLC Broadcast at the weekend. Dropped by £50 between Friday and Saturday. Glad it took me an extra day to convince the wife
emotion-2.gif

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi Davo2008. When we test a Blu-ray player we connect it straight to a screen/projector to test picture quality (thus taking the AV amp out of the equation). We then hook the player up to a multichannel amp (including a price comparable model) to test sound performance. I hope this helps.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Excellent, thanks very much! So before you go swooping back into the darkness (it's hard to think of a better job, by the way), would you recommend I push the "scale to 1080p" button, or leave it as is?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Davo2008:would you recommend I push the "scale to 1080p" button, or leave it as is?

I'd use the Denon's oboard scaling, or at least try both this and your receiver's and see which you prefer.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I've got a Samsung LE46A856 and Onkyo 876 amp. The Onkyo seems to have the same chip as my Denon 2930 (Reon XV) which made me wonder if it would be better to do the processing through the Amp. The Denon website fails to say ehat scaling chip is used on the 2500 (I don't suppose you know, do you?), but if it was better than the Reon XV, wouldn't they say?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Davo2008:Excellent, thanks very much! So before you go swooping back into the darkness (it's hard to think of a better job, by the way), would you recommend I push the "scale to 1080p" button, or leave it as is? Just leave the Denons output resolution set to "auto"

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I just bought 30 Days of Night yesterday. Can't wait to watch it!

Jase, I know you have the Denon, so when you say set to auto, does that mean the processing will be done on-board, or at the receiver? Is the auto mode, naturally to upscale SD to 1080p? Any other tips on settings?

Also, I saw your post yesterday on Con Air, so will get that. Also, I'm assuming stuff that's heavy on CGI like Transformers or I Robot (or anything by Pixar) would also look excellent. Any other tips on superb films to watch??!

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Baraka is a good 'film' to watch with excellent picture quality. It is like a documentary without narration, depicting scenes as diverse as beautiful scenery to war.

Animation is excellent - cars, ratatouille, horton hears a who, ice age 2 and particularly, Wall-E.

Older classics like Cool hand Luke are given a new lease of life.

Edited by mods for house rules violation

I have over 70 blu rays now and find it a very enjoyable format (stroll on 4k2k or whatever!)

Enjoy your films!!

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Gander:have you watched 30 days of night yet Jase?Alright Gander,

Yes ive watched it, i did tell you on the other original thread of Claires about firmware, anyway youve obviously missed that, not to worry but yes it worked fine mate, no problems at all ! And it was the 1st film i watched as i switched the Denon on & it loaded perfectly without any hitches.

I must say it has excellent audio, i had to turn it down abit from were i usually have my volume.

So Gander, what bluray player have you settled for now?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Davo2008:I just bought 30 Days of Night yesterday. Can't wait to watch it!

Jase, I know you have the Denon, so when you say set to auto, does that mean the processing will be done on-board, or at the receiver? Is the auto mode, naturally to upscale SD to 1080p? Any other tips on settings?

Also, I saw your post yesterday on Con Air, so will get that. Also, I'm assuming stuff that's heavy on CGI like Transformers or I Robot (or anything by Pixar) would also look excellent. Any other tips on superb films to watch??!

Thanks!Hi Davo,

When you set the Denon to Auto the processing is done onboard & yes it also upscales SD naturally to 1080p

As for other settings Davo i found that when i got the Denon all the settings i left at Default apart from one in the "audio" settings, under BD Audio Mode the default is set to "mix audio output" i changed that to "HD Audio output" were audio is output as bitstream so therefore it then decodes DTS Master audio & True HD etc however if you leave it as "mix audio output" then its just LPCM.

As for any other recommended bluray titles? well for some of the latest ones id recommend "transformers, 3;10 to yuma, cars, (i must say that i know alot of people praise Wall e for its cracking PQ but personally i find cars to be the best animation so far on bluray)The day after tomorrow is great & apocolypto is fantastic PQ i dont know if you like the movie Flatliners? its one of my favs for sure, well the transfer on that is stunning the best ive ever seen it espec for a movie made in 1990!

Well i hope these are good starting points for you if im blown away by anymore ill post my results.

A

Anonymous

You lucky so and so! Im pleased for you mate as you have obviously got a good'un. 30 days of night is tops and look sstunning on the denon and the sound makes your head spin in places!

I went for the 200 quid bd35 and im gonna hang on for a good while now.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Gander:
You lucky so and so! Im pleased for you mate as you have obviously got a good'un. 30 days of night is tops and look sstunning on the denon and the sound makes your head spin in places!

I went for the 200 quid bd35 and im gonna hang on for a good while now.
Ye i must be lucky mate, then again i know a couple of people that arnt having problems with it, luck of the draw i guess?

I cant also get over how good standard dvd is on this player, i just recently watched "street kings" on dvd & its the best ive seen so far the PQ came very close to that of bluray ! My brother actually did think it was a bluray it was that good.

As for you getting the bd35 i dont blame you, i think if i were having problems with my Denon id be tempted in getting something like that & wait a while, anyway as long as your happy for now mate.

A

Anonymous

happy enough i guess yeah but also excited about upgrading at some point! I also agree on the dvd playback, its brilliant.

TRENDING THREADS