cheap record clamp

gasolin

I might buy a cheap turntabel and the only thing i would buy other then the turntable is a cheap record clamp,puck if i can find one

Don't want the plastic clearaudio clever clamp

Is there anyone you experts can recommend?

gasolin said:
I might buy a cheap turntabel and the only thing i would buy other then the turntable is a cheap record clamp,puck if i can find one

The question is why would you want one. Some turntables are designed with a clamp in mind others think you don't need one. Save your money and buy a better turntable.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
gasolin said:

How about carbon steel, you can get for about £15, see Juno Records site. Various others for not much more. Can help with some warped records and may reduce vibrations. With a turntable you may need to upgrade the cartridge.

BigH said:
gasolin said:

How about carbon steel, you can get for about £15, see Juno Records site. Various others for not much more. Can help with some warped records and may reduce vibrations. With a turntable you may need to upgrade the cartridge.

If he's set on buying a cheap turntable then there is no point in a clamp. If he has warped records they will still not play well. If he needs a cartridge upgrade its no longer going to be cheap. As I've said in the past, you cannot do justice to vinyl on the cheap. If you cannot afford it stick to CD's.

stevebrock said:
Bit blunt but very true

Vinyl cannot be done on the Cheap

Apologies but unfortunately it's true as many newbies will find out to their detriment. It's just a new fad to many and the new vinyl resurgence is bound to leave loads of uneducated disillusioned. Unfortunately.

Vinyl, in its day, was a hard medium to get the best out of. Some knew how but times move on and better resolutions occurred. The new resurgence isn't going to last or indeed, benefit anyone who doesn't already own a decent playback system.

gasolin

I havn't said anything on how much i want to spent on a turntable

I want a turntable so it makes sense to have an record colletion, make sense to look and find my favorti lp's and collect what i have on cd with my favorite artists.

I want to spent time searching for the lp's not just any lps but the most exiting ones like pink floyd,dire straits,phil collins.......... and have my own personal collection,not having a turntbale doesn't make sense to me, because i know some records you can't get on cd/streaming and therefor i need a turntable if i want to play them

But im not gonna buy an expesnsive one, im look for one to use mabye 1-2 times every week or when i find a record not available on cd/streaming

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Really you are not telling us very much. How much can you spend on a turntable? Used TTs are expensive at the moment, you may get a reasonable one for around £200 if you are lucky, something like a Rega RP3. I would get the TT first before worrying about clamps.

Lost Angeles said:
All I had on my Planar 3 was a felt mat, and everything played superbly, never dreamt of having a clamp.Now on the Orbe ****** all will play if the clamps not on.

I know what you mean my old Planar 3 never needed one but my current TT has a screw threaded on as an integral part. It will play without it but I feel duty-bound to use it ;-) A retrograde step?

gasolin

It's surpose to fit the rest of my system sound wise and price

Im not gonna use it every day but only a few times each week

Depends on if can sell what i have for sale or trade it
Rega RP1 union jack performance for less then 250£ (not shure if it is used,i don't think it is)Rega RP1 Queen Edition slightly used for less then 280£Project debut carbon for less then 300£Project Essientials II for less then 220£
That's only if i can trade,sell what i have to get one of those turntables

At the moment if i can find it used it would be

Project essentials II or Rega RP1, debut carbon for no less then 50% off, under 150£, i can get the pro-ject elemtal for for less under 140£ new, just dont know if theres free delivery BUT i don't like the design, no dust cover and it seems wobbly also whathifi say it needs care in placement

Last time i had hum with the project essential II so this time i would only have my amp and turntable (if i get one) connected and then the power on my pc,monitors (screens)cd player,sound card to eliminate what did and what didn't last year give me hum. So buy used very cheap or new (if i have to sell it or return it because of the hum i had bad experience with last year)

gasolin

BigH said:
In that price range if you are in UK I would consider a Rega RP3, new but slight seconds for £299 on ebay from Hifi dealer.

Found one in denmark for 250£ but then theres delivery

Also im not gonna use the tt so often so wouldn't it be better to start with the rp1,essential and later upgrade the cartridge to a good one instaed of having a good tt and a avarage cartridge

gasolin said:
BigH said:
In that price range if you are in UK I would consider a Rega RP3, new but slight seconds for £299 on ebay from Hifi dealer.

Also im not gonna use the tt so often so wouldn't it be better to start with the rp1,essential and later upgrade the cartridge to a good one instaed of having a good tt and a avarage cartridge

Depends on what you call an average cartridge.

gasolin said:
Al ears said:
gasolin said:
BigH said:

what the turntable was born with

Perhaps it would be a good idea to wait until you can afford a good cartridge on a good turntable.

gasolin

Al ears said:
gasolin said:
BigH said:

what the turntable was born with

Some it was born with lie a 100€ 2m red from ortofon

gasolin said:
Is there something wrong with rega carbon,audio technica AT95e,ortofon OM 5 E or the 2M red cartridge?(the only cheap and good cartridges i know)
All budget cartridges have compromises. I never intended to keep the bottom of the range Grado my turntable had fitted (it was ex-demo). But it is remarkably enjoyable. For under a hundred GBP I'd suggest a Shure M97xe.

gasolin

First of all i need to find out if i can get a tt to work without hum (don't know anyone with a turntable and buy a new (or extreme cheap just to know if it would work) use it and then return it to get a good but used one, i think i shouldn't do.

Second, if i can use one without hum and found one, THEN i can start getting my own personal record collection and from time to time enjoy some of them, if listening to them on tidal or on cd is possible

Third, if the cartridges needs to be changed (if i buy a tt at some point i would need a new cartridge) THEN i can think of how much i want to spent or just buy the same there was when i bought the tt

Hum should not be a problem unless there is incorrect placement or faulty wiring. Some turntables come with a separate earth tag, which should be connected to the ground terminal on your amp. Others come without, and should work fine too.

gasolin

Have a local shop (closest to where i live in a big town) he wanted to trade a turntable with my amp and speakers.

Today on facebook, is friday okay, what turntable would you like to have

finally i said (please... almost) can i have the rega rp1 queen edition you have, i guess that is what im gonna get *yahoo*

(freddy is up there with elvis and john lennon)

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
gasolin, a good dealer should allow you to compare a cheaper basic deck against a better one, as differences can be considerable, as I found out many years ago.

A Rega RP1 is a good place to start, or a used Planar 3 with the straight RB300 arm, both of which can be improved when you're ready, which you are very likely to want to do. A good player reveals much more of the detail on an Lp, than a cheap one. You can see my setup in my sig., and it is much better than my old Rega Planar 3 with the S- shaped R200 arm, even with a Dynavector 10x4 cartridge.

I'm assuming that good reproduction is important to you, so can only echo the others here to buy the best you can afford. There at considerable improvements to be heard.

Even if the current vinyl craze fades away, it means that there will be some good stuff for sale in a few years.

Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts