Cheap Phono leads on RP1

AmigaNut

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I realise the RP1 is the entry level turntable from Rega and it is suppose to be a plug and play set up, but I have been wondering why they put cheap phono leads on to it. I would have thought it would have been cheaper to just put phono sockets on and allow the end user to choose the quality/price of leads that suits them.

Has any one modded an RP1 to take better quality leads, I am not talking mega buck prices just leads say around £20 or so with decent screening?

I would ask Rega, but as they only have a postal address and not an email one is not worth the hassle.

AmigaNut

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
How do you know the phono leads are cheap? Just because they don't have a fancy looking sheath doesn't mean what's inside isn't adequate.

Also, Rega has been designing turntables for decades. It has obviously taken the view the leads are up to the job and wouldn't waste all the effort that went into the design on the last part of the chain.

Is there anything to suggest the leads aren't adequate other than the assumption that something more expensive must be better?

AmigaNut

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
How do you know the phono leads are cheap? Just because they don't have a fancy looking sheath doesn't mean what's inside isn't adequate.

Also, Rega has been designing turntables for decades. It has obviously taken the view the leads are up to the job and wouldn't waste all the effort that went into the design on the last part of the chain.

Is there anything to suggest the leads aren't adequate other than the assumption that something more expensive must be better?

I realise Rega know what they are doing and they proably are adequate, but they remind me of the cheapo ones you get in a cd player, I also note that the RP1 is the basic model but £229 is still not peanuts to some, although compared to an RP8 or RP40 it is.

Its just the choice to fit better would have been good

AmigaNut

TRENDING THREADS