Cheap DVD VAT loophole to close

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I saw this, but read it as reducing the price point at which it would come into effect from £18 to £15, which struck me as insufficient to prevent it. Am i reading that wrong?

No, JD: value was cut from £18 to 15 on November 1, but from next April there will be no concession at all, so VAT wll have to be charged even on items valued at less than £15 being sent from the Channel Islands.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I thought the prices on play.com had been increased lately for dvd's but i thought that was more of a deploy by the company's to make you more interested in buying blu-ray

John Duncan

Andrew Everard said:
John Duncan said:
I saw this, but read it as reducing the price point at which it would come into effect from £18 to £15, which struck me as insufficient to prevent it. Am i reading that wrong?

No, JD: value was cut from £18 to 15 on November 1, but from next April there will be no concession at all, so VAT wll have to be charged even on items valued at less than £15 being sent from the Channel Islands.

Not so much read it wrong as barely read it at all then?

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Competition from sites such as Play.com have helped keep a cap on prices in the shops here.

What's the betting that once the VAT concession goes completely prices will rise because of "increased overheads"

I can't see that a multi region player will make much difference because VAT will be charged whatever the source.|(

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
chudleighpaul said:
Competition from sites such as Play.com have helped keep a cap on prices in the shops here.

What's the betting that once the VAT concession goes completely prices will rise because of "increased overheads"

I can't see that a multi region player will make much difference because VAT will be charged whatever the source.|(

I think you missed the point on multi-region players.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I think you missed the point on multi-region players.

[/quote]

What point? Multi region helped me to build a good collection before prices became more reasonable here, but with the removal of the VAT concession, discs imported from any source will be liable to a VAT surcharge, and don't forget the handling fee that is added on as well. It will almost be pointless importing discs as they will work out more expensive than "home grown" R2

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chudleighpaul said:
but with the removal of the VAT concession, discs imported from any source will be liable to a VAT surcharge

'Low Value Consignment Relief (LVCR) will not apply to goods sent from the Channel Islands to the UK from 1 April. The government said that LVCR will continue to apply to goods coming from other countries outside the EU'

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
chudleighpaul said:
but with the removal of the VAT concession, discs imported from any source will be liable to a VAT surcharge

'Low Value Consignment Relief (LVCR) will not apply to goods sent from the Channel Islands to the UK from 1 April. The government said that LVCR will continue to apply to goods coming from other countries outside the EU'

So instead of our goods being shipped from the Channel Islands will we see Play/Amazon etc setting up shop in a non EU country instead? I would imagine the shipping times to be simillar from just outside the EU than it is from Guernsey/Jersey

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
SpiceWeasel said:
So instead of our goods being shipped from the Channel Islands will we see Play/Amazon etc setting up shop in a non EU country instead? I would imagine the shipping times to be simillar from just outside the EU than it is from Guernsey/Jersey

Play was recently acquired by the Japan-based Rakuten group.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
SpiceWeasel said:

Maybe. A move to Switzerland has already been mentioned.

Shipping times would probably be affected, as Jersey Post has UK Mail on the mainland by 8am the following day.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts