Cheap (Accurate) Strobe Light and Mat

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Turntables, even relatively modest ones, used to come with strobe lights and marked (machined / etched) platters.
No more it seems, sadly.
Any ideas for cheap strobe lights and mats for checking rpms?

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Ebay for a strobe disc. You shouldn't need a special lamp just use an ordinary mains lamp. BTW as I believe you're in USA make sure you get a disc for 60Hz or 50/60Hz.

MajorFubar said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Thanks for that. One ordered. Thought I would need a strobe light as well.

Nah basically you just need anything that will give you a 60Hz flicker, such as a tungsten lamp.

The Major is correct, I forgot to add you need a bulb type that 'flickers', not one of the 'power saving' type. I might be wrong but have never tried one. Perhaps someone else could educate me here as I am currently using a purpose built hand-held strobe.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
A lot of those energy saving bulbs will flicker if you connect them to something like a day / night photocell.

I put photocells in all our outside lights and had to change the bulbs from those curly-wurly fluorescents back to good old tungsten filaments - which kind of negated the energy-saving merits of having the day / night photocells :-(

Benedict_Arnold said:
A lot of those energy saving bulbs will flicker if you connect them to something like a day / night photocell.

I put photocells in all our outside lights and had to change the bulbs from those curly-wurly fluorescents back to good old tungsten filaments - which kind of negated the energy-saving merits of having the day / night photocells :-(

I know what you mean, they don't like dimmer switches either. I am getting through them at a rate of knots so have again resorted to good old filaments, if I search hard to find them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts