Channel balance problem

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpiano

ear:I havrnt hear yet the 650a but heard the 550a, and it didnt sound thin nor tyring to me.I liked it.seemed a bit underpowered though.gives us impressions on the pma510 please.heard it already but found it a bit messy, no layering of sound.

I had a 650A for a month before Christmas and didn't get on with it. I've kept going back to CA amps because I think I feel as though I 'should' like them, but I never settle with them. I've now had A5, AM1, 340A SE, 540A V2.0, 640A V2.0, 650A, and 740A - its about time I learned my lesson and steered well clear!!

Re. the Denon. I can understand why the Denon could sound like that if not partnered carefully but it really does reward a bit of effort. With the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s it sounds overly thick and a bit thin at the very top - probably much as you describe. The Mordaunt-Short MS902i sounds much better with greater clarity but it still sounds as though the Denon is being limited by the speakers.

It all fits into place with the Q Acoustics bi-wired and with a relatively neutral source. The NAD C545BEE doesn't partner well with the Denon and is completely outclassed (in this context) by the MF V-DAC which has a more neutral and even-handed sound. With that in mind I prefer using the 340C as a transport because it is much quieter than the NAD.

Set-up and partnered in this way there is plenty of organisation and layering to the sound and yet it retains a sense of wholeness that I find lacking with the CA 650A. With Laura Marling's new album there was tons of atmosphere and with Radiohead's brilliant 'Amnesiac' album the Denon really took hold of the Qs and managed to achieve that difficult balance between bass depth, rhythm, and spaciousness across the frequency range. Playing Michael Buble showed that the system is very capable of maintaining composure for those smooth vocals whilst bringing a good sense of punch and depth to the band parts. Finally a Hyperion recording of the Mendelssohn Piano Concertos, which sounded awkward when played through the NAD/Denon/Wharfedale combination, really came to life with a pleasing sense of soundstaging and instrumental timbre and a good grasp of the interaction between the soloist and orchestra, and between the various orchestral parts.

The Denon isn't for somebody who just wants a party system and it isn't for anyone who prefers a very clinical approach to music. Denon have clearly engineered it to strike a balance between the warmth and heavier bass of the NAD sound and the hyper-detailed but slightly clinical Cambridge Audio approach. It shares a basic musicality and even-handedness with the Marantz PM6003 but retains composure better in the busy passages. It doesn't shout about how good it is in one area to the detriment of others. This might stop it from standing out in a quick audition, but I get the feeling it is going to make it an ideal long-term listening partner.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
it is a cheap amp. the pma500ae was also cheap, heard it several times but always seemed a bit messy to me.the 510 sounded a bit better.might hear it again in the future.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Matthewpiano system counter...

counter.gif

T

the record spot

daskeg:A couple of nice old sansui amps on ebay at the moment - an AU 717 that looks mint + an AU 7500 fully refurbed in the vintage electronics sections. Can't help but think that a top class vintage amp wouldn't be a better option than the succession of new budget amps that have been in and out of your system.

Yes, good advice this - the £200 you spent on the CA would've got you a 717. The 7500 is another winner. The AU-217 would leave the CA kit standing I think, certainly the 340. I'm using it just now while the 717's being serviced and it's a fine amp for little outlay; it handles the iTunes WAV stuff wonderfully. Beatles White Album earlier tonight; astonishingly good.

But....you have to be happy with what you buy in the end so I hope you like this Denon. Had to smile at Chebby's counter though...that probably covers the permutations for my own system in my mind too!

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:I've gone for the Denon PMA510AE.

Hi Matthew, I knew you would end up with Denon kit. I should have been pushing the DCD 500 AE harder on you. Could have saved you some time.
emotion-5.gif
Hope this system is here to stay. Enjoy!

Jack

matthewpiano

jaxwired:
Wow. MP, I'm wondering why you keep swapping gear? What's really going on? I'm worried about you mate.

Nothing to worry about mate. I'm just not willing to put up with a major flaw like poor channel balance on a £200 amp. Denon got it right, so why can't Cambridge Audio?

A

Anonymous

Glad to hear you are sorted MP. So now maybe you can sit back and relax and enjoy the music.
emotion-21.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:Dan - you in particular might be interested to know...

I started tweaking my speaker positioning today which tightened things up. I then decided to give the NAD C545BEE another go and... WOW!

Oh bloody hell... Here we go again
emotion-5.gif
haha

I cant tear myself away from that CDP MP; I REALLY do think it's THAT good!!!

Although I may have opened up a barrel of worms upping my budget to a possible £2.5k now... The PMC and Focal speakers are being mentioned a lot!

Ah hell...
emotion-8.gif

A

Anonymous

Lol in Matthews defence, the amp which I originally heard with the BR2's at sound and vision was a Denon and I never even thought to ask what model it was, but it sure was damn good, such a natural sound and anything but underpowered.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Piggybacking on this old thread...

Is there some way to adjust channel imbalance without a balance control? My room layout dictates that the right wall is closer to the right speaker, than the left wall is to the left speaker. As such, the volume from the right is slightly higher but unfortunately my preamp does not have a balance control.

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue, other than to upgrade to a preamp with a balance control?

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
hifikrazy said:
Piggybacking on this old thread...

Is there some way to adjust channel imbalance without a balance control? My room layout dictates that the right wall is closer to the right speaker, than the left wall is to the left speaker. As such, the volume from the right is slightly higher but unfortunately my preamp does not have a balance control.

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue, other than to upgrade to a preamp with a balance control?

High there. without seeing your room I don't understand why you can get the speakers central between the walls. What you can do is bring the toe of the speaker in a little more (point them in wards slightly)

If you think of the sound coming out the speaker getting wider as it does then the sound from the right is bouncing off the wall to early which makes it sound louder. If you stand in the middle of the speakers at listening distance then get someone to turn them in to face you if you have got any toe in already.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts