Change Speakers or Amp?

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, as some of you may know i am having a big problem with my speakers sounding very bright with my Roksan Kandy LIII. Infact they are so bright to the extent that they give me a headache after a short period of time. My dilemma now is, would i be best to change my speakers or change my amp. I previously had my speakers running with a Arcam A65 and they wasn't bright at all so i know how good the speakers can sound.

Thanks to some advice from PlasticPenguin i have chosen Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 Floorstanders to replace the Whrfedales and thanks to advice from RecordSpot a few other owners i have chose theOnkyo TX 8050 to replace the amp. I am now stuck on if i should change the amp or speakers. I don't want to change both so would like peoples views on which one i would be best to change.

I listen to Hip Hop, R&B, Rock and Metal.

Thanks

T

the record spot

Hi Gareth - have a listen to both, see what you like. List your needs from your stereo, what you want it to do and go with whatever ticks the most boxes.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
What were you looking for in the first place that made you change the speakers and amp?

From what I've read about those Aviano 6 speakers, they're not especially bright or so. So maybe it's just the amp that is too bright when combined with those speakers (haven't heard your amp).

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Record Spot.

The Onkyo would tick the most boxes as it has got a great spec and feature list and i wouldn't have to buy a seperate streamer and it would be an ideal one box soultion.

My dilemma is that i am quiet fond of the Kandy and worried that there is a chance that the Wharfedales could also sound bright with the Onkyo.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply KevinJ.

I was basically using the Wharfedales with a Aracm A65 and CD72. The speakers did sound quiet good with them and they wasn't bright. I bought the Kandy because it was being sold second hand in mint condition with the remote for a very good price and i was hoping that it would be a good upgrade from the A65 i already had.

I think the Kandy isn't very well matched to the Wharfedales and that they are holding it back. After speaking to some other forum members about the Kandy i have realised that i would really need to spend around £500 plus on speakers to get the best out of the Kandy.

The thing is that i'm stuck on if it's best to change the speakers or just change the amp. I don't want to buy another pair of speakers and get the same problem with brightness and i don't want to jup the gun and change the amp and find that it is a downgrade.

I'm really stuck which is why i am asking for some advice and guidence.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Change the speakers, that's a very good amp. You're best off going to audition at some dealers, taking the amp with you, and listening to a number of different brands.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I've seen those Wharfedale speakers pretty cheap online (150£?) and pairing them to an amp that costs 4 or 5 times more will never sound like it schould.

That Roksan deserves better. Much better. It just depends on how much you want to spend.

I would start out with visiting a few hifishops and have them hook up speakers to your amp. See how that goes.

If you don't like the way it turns out (ie, you need speakers that cost much more), you can always look for a cheaper amp that works with the gear you already have. You can always save the Roksan for later when you have the cash or feel the need to upgrade.

As before I suggested the Aviano for two main reasons: 1) They'll a good upgrade to the Wharfedales and they give a huge bang

for you pound. And 2) You mentioned the wife was rather fond of the Wharfedale look, so Avianos have similar aesthetics to the Wharfdales. In addition should match the Kandy and/or the Onkyo, especially if you're experiencing brightness with the current combo.

I don't know the Onkyo's spec but I would assume that the Kandy will give better sonics, although the Onkyo will have the facilities, similar to the revered Marantz.

As RS has said work out which one ticks the most boxes: The Wharfedales are party animal in that they have a big, big sound but won't have the all-round game of modern budget-midrange floostanders.

As I've pointed out before get the speakers sorted first then build around them.

A

Anonymous

Take your amp to a dealer and listen to multiple speakers. Buying blind on the basis of reviews and advice based on only a partial match will not end well. And yes, I would keep the amp.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey Gareth,

It seems to me that your speakers might be the problem, mismatched budget often messes with systems. From what I've heard, the Kandy is an excellent amp and have never heard users complain about brightness. Maybe your speakers are translating the extra detail into harshness, unable to control the treble. I have heard good things about the Mordaunt Short/Roksan combo but the speakers in most cases are the Mezzo 6s. How come you are not considering them and are considering the Avianos instead? Just curious....but I do believe the overall synergy would be in the same direction.

shafesk said:
Hey Gareth,

It seems to me that your speakers might be the problem, mismatched budget often messes with systems. From what I've heard, the Kandy is an excellent amp and have never heard users complain about brightness. Maybe your speakers are translating the extra detail into harshness, unable to control the treble. I have heard good things about the Mordaunt Short/Roksan combo but the speakers in most cases are the Mezzo 6s. How come you are not considering them and are considering the Avianos instead? Just curious....but I do believe the overall synergy would be in the same direction.

The Avianos was my idea: The wharfedales he has are very bass driven, and given Gareth has mentioned on more than one occasion about the lack of bass with the Kandy - and the wife factor plays a huge part - the Avianos are as bassy as speakers get at the price.

I'm to blame. Off with his head!
smiley-smile.gif

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks you very much for the replies everyone.

I think shafesk has hit the nail on the head about the speakers are translating the extra detail into harshness, unable to control the treble. I can hear more deatil than i could with the Arcam and think maybe the speakers just can't handle all of the extra detail.

I do like the Mezzo 6's and the Aviano 6's and to be fiar to PP, he did recommend the Mezzo's as well in another thread of mine. It looks like it will be a choice between the Mezzo's or Aviano's. I feel that the Aviano's seem to be more suited to my music as i have read the WHF Review in which they gave them 5 stars and they did say they produce very good bass and scale which i think would be suited more to my music style, Plus at the moment richer sounds are selling them for £400 brand new which is a pritty good price. I did read somwhere on here that the Mezzo's can be abit bright sometimes so maybe they might not be the best choice.

My other option would be to do what KevinJ said and get a cheap amp to use for now while i save up for better speakers for the Kandy.

Has anyone on here used the Kandy with the Mezzo's or Aviano's?

Gareth82 said:
Thanks you very much for the replies everyone.

I think shafesk has hit the nail on the head about the speakers are translating the extra detail into harshness, unable to control the treble. I can hear more deatil than i could with the Arcam and think maybe the speakers just can't handle all of the extra detail.

I do like the Mezzo 6's and the Aviano 6's and to be fiar to PP, he did recommend the Mezzo's as well in another thread of mine. It looks like it will be a choice between the Mezzo's or Aviano's. I feel that the Aviano's seem to be more suited to my music as i have read the WHF Review in which they gave them 5 stars and they did say they produce very good bass and scale which i think would be suited more to my music style, Plus at the moment richer sounds are selling them for £400 brand new which is a pritty good price. I did read somwhere on here that the Mezzo's can be abit bright sometimes so maybe they might not be the best choice.

My other option would be to do what KevinJ said and get a cheap amp to use for now while i save up for better speakers for the Kandy.

Has anyone on here used the Kandy with the Mezzo's or Aviano's?

Changing to a cheapo amp is definately a backward step. You may as well keep the Arcam A65. If you need (the word ' NEED' is pivital) to downgrade to upgrade it's false economy to look at other amps. The Arc is fabulous for the money and some...

The Kandy LIII is a very decent step up, but like any system it'll need careful matching. I know that the Kandy LIII can be in ya face, but not with brightness. It is bass happy amp and you need to appease the missus, as well as upping the ante with sound quality.

To me:

Roksan Kandy LIII - Arcam CD72 - Mordaunt Short Avanio or Mezzo 6 will give you music nivana.

Speakers, speakers, speakers... first! (I'm probably the biggest Wharfedale fan on here, but they do have limitations)

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
TBH i think i am going to stick to either the Aviano or Mezzo's as the synergy should be good. i am leening more towards the Aviano's at the moment as the price is pritty good and i think i will like their bassy aproach to music.

T

the record spot

plastic penguin said:
Changing to a cheapo amp is definately a backward step. You may as well keep the Arcam A65.

Well, if you're referring the one Gareth mentioned on the basis of my experience and am using quite happily right now, then this'll be the high current, low-feedback, 100wpc TX8050 and would take the A65, wallop it soundly and probably leave it on the A65! Calling this amp a cheapo one and dismissing it out of hand is probably a mistake a lot of people will make, but that's their loss of course.

All in all, come back when you've had a listen to it PP, come back when you've had a listen. :)

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I think PP may have been replying to the comment i made about getting a really cheap amp just to get me through untill i get enough money to buy better speakers.

I f i bought the MS Aviano i think the Kandy should sound much better, on the other hand i think the Onkyo would match my current speakers as they are 6ohms and plus the onkyo has got tone controls so i can do some fine tuning if the sound is bright or bass light etc.

I will have £300 - £400 soon to either buy the Aviano's or buy the Onkyo. Having a demo is hard as the nearest Richer Sounds is a 2 hour trip on public transport and my wife is due to give birth any day now so i may have to tkae a risk and buy blind. I know it isn't ideal and i'm thinking that maybe first i would be best to buy the Aviano's and then if i still don't like what i's hearing from the Kandy i could sell it and get the Onkyo.

The problem i also have is that if i don't buy the Onkyo and keep the Kandy i need to decide which streamer would match it well.

the record spot said:
plastic penguin said:
Changing to a cheapo amp is definately a backward step. You may as well keep the Arcam A65.

Well, if you're referring the one Gareth mentioned on the basis of my experience and am using quite happily right now, then this'll be the high current, low-feedback, 100wpc TX8050 and would take the A65, wallop it soundly and probably leave it on the A65! Calling this amp a cheapo one and dismissing it out of hand is probably a mistake a lot of people will make, but that's their loss of course.

All in all, come back when you've had a listen to it PP, come back when you've had a listen. :)

Easy now - I've not heard of this Onkyo until you mentioned it. On the surface it looks good value - I personally love receivers, always have done. Don't doubt for one moment of its flexibilty and SQ for the price. However, if someone said to me the best sound quality: Roksan Kandy LIII or a budget receiver? I know which colour flag I wave.

Given Gareth's previous threads and the help I've given regards the Arcam and the Roksan, I'd choose the Roksan for pure SQ. But as you well know (I don't really need to say this) the ideal system match takes time and thought, regardless of budget.

Gareth really likes the Arcam: I've owned the A65+ for 7 years and it doesn't have the power of most amps but it leaves an indelible mark... I understand the frustration Gareth is going thru.

Change those damn Wharfedales and see where it it takes him: They are the weakest link.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I think PP may have been replying to the comment i made about getting a really cheap amp just to get me through untill i get enough money to buy better speakers.

I f i bought the MS Aviano i think the Kandy should sound much better, on the other hand i think the Onkyo would match my current speakers as they are 6ohms and plus the onkyo has got tone controls so i can do some fine tuning if the sound is bright or bass light etc.

I will have £300 - £400 soon to either buy the Aviano's or buy the Onkyo. Having a demo is hard as the nearest Richer Sounds is a 2 hour trip on public transport and my wife is due to give birth any day now so i may have to tkae a risk and buy blind. I know it isn't ideal and i'm thinking that maybe first i would be best to buy the Aviano's and then if i still don't like what i's hearing from the Kandy i can decide next what to do next. If i don't buy the Onkyo and keep the Kandy i need to decide which streamer would match it well.

I am not worried about speanding the money and taking my time etc, i just want the best sound quality i can get for my money.

T

the record spot

Gareth82 said:

I will have £300 - £400 soon to either buy the Aviano's or buy the Onkyo. Having a demo is hard as the nearest Richer Sounds is a 2 hour trip on public transport and my wife is due to give birth any day now so i may have to tkae a risk and buy blind. I know it isn't ideal and i'm thinking that maybe first i would be best to buy the Aviano's and then if i still don't like what i's hearing from the Kandy i could sell it and get the Onkyo.

The problem i also have is that if i don't buy the Onkyo and keep the Kandy i need to decide which streamer would match it well.

Okay, well, I think given my own experience, I'd take a few weeks out, think it over and stick beside my wife...but don't let me sway you!

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes i think i may have to take a little time out and have a think. If i go for the speakers and like them then i need to think about if i am going to go for a streamer or laptop and Dac for my digital music. If i go for the Onkyo then all i need is a NAS or hard drive and i'm pritty much sorted.

Keeps us updated on how you speaker demo's go, it would be good to see how the Onkyo deals with the speakers you have mentioned.

matthewpiano

I'd get shot of those Wharfedales. They are party speakers, not hi-fi speakers and they won't be doing your Roksan any favours at all. For what its worth, I think the Kandy can be a bit on the bright side from personal experience, but judicious speaker matching should help you to get the best out of it. I'd add some of the Wharfedale Diamond 10 range floorstanders into the mix - something like the Diamond 10.5 could be well worth a listen as another option alongside the Avianos. Might also be worth having a listen to the Q Acoustics 2050 floorstanders.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes i think i may have to take a little time out and have a think. If i go for the speakers and like them then i need to think about if i am going to go for a streamer or laptop and Dac for my digital music. If i go for the Onkyo then all i need is a NAS or hard drive and i'm pritty much sorted.

Keeps us updated on how you speaker demo's go RS, it would be good to see how the Onkyo deals with the speakers you have mentioned.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts