Change of DAC-advice needed please.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I currently have a Beresford TC-7520 dac fitted with a level 4 mod from Audio Upgrades,for details of what was done look here http://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/beresford7520.shtml I`m considering a change and would like advice/opinions on what to go for that would provide better performance. It was suggested that the modded Beresford now has the capabilty of a dac in the C.£1000 range and it certainly is very good to my ears but you know how it is,I`ve got that "could I squeeze a bit more out of my system" feeling again!

A

Anonymous

You could try the Moon DAC and , when it comes out, the Rega DAC. My gut feeling is that any improvement will be very small.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I`ve been looking at the Electrocompaniet ECD1 http://www.electrocompaniet.com/products/classic/digital/ecd1.html says it upsamples to 24 bit,would that make any significant difference or is it just jiggery pokery?

SteveR750

Hijack alert, sorry, but I assume you are using itunes with the dell - have you tried any other media player? (that runs in Windows)

OK, back on topic - Interesting thread - keep us posted on what you find!

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
SteveR750:
Hijack alert, sorry, but I assume you are using itunes with the dell - have you tried any other media player? (that runs in Windows)

OK, back on topic - Interesting thread - keep us posted on what you find!

Hi Steve,yes I`m using Itunes under Windows 7,there was a thread in the computer based music forum on how to set up Itunes for best play back quality which I did. Have`nt used any other media player but would be willing to try if there was any increase in performance.

A

Anonymous

The ECD-1 has a full, rich sound when coupled with other Electrocompaniet gear with a scale that's truly impressive. I'd suggest that, if you do buy one, then it will be held back by your amplifiers.

SteveR750

basshound:
Hi Steve,yes I`m using Itunes under Windows 7,there was a thread in the computer based music forum on how to set up Itunes for best play back quality which I did. Have`nt used any other media player but would be willing to try if there was any increase in performance.

Well I would suggest trying J River at least for the free 30 day trial, as I found it a better SQ up in windows than itunes was, but then to be fair I didn't spend much time tweaking itunes. The only snag is the conversion of file types, though J River will play just about anything, and doesn't move files from their location when it creates its library. If you are using W7 64 bit then you might be surprised at what is possible.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Took the plunge and ordered a Moon 300D Dac,should be here around 4-5th Jan. Sim audio say the dac won`t be at it`s best until it`s had around 400 hours "break in" so will be interesting to hear it straight out of the box.

TRENDING THREADS