Centre Speaker - inbuilt or not

davlee

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I am having a cabinet built to house some home theatre equipment. Should I leave the centre speaker compartment open at the rear? It will house a Focal 1028be series centre speaker.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
If the centre is rear ported then yes. Use some thin material behind if it looks 'messy'. Otherwise the sides will have more effect so ensure (anyway) that the front is flush or proud of the front of the cabinet. What r yr speakers?

As long as you can get the cables in for connecting to the speaker, a closed back should be ok. Even my speakers are enclosed in cabinets. Just make sure the speaker is placed right at the front, to prevent booming due to the cabinet.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
My previous rear ported centre sounded boomy in a closwd back cabinet but my current closed mezzo is fine. I previosly used a bung or eq to negate the effect. May depend if the front is closed like an in wall speaker or the centre is sitting in a smallish closwd box, as mine is.

We frequently hear that a speaker needs to breath!

BenLaw said:
They're rear ported so I'm not sure I agree. I don't get the argument for keeping it closed, the speaker itself will hide the view of any wires.

As long as there's a 6-inch gap behind for a rear ported speaker, shouldn't it be ok?

http://thespeakerguys.blogspot.co.uk/2008/02/rear-ported-vs-front-ported-speakers.html

I suppose it's best to experiment with different placements to make sure there is no detrimental effect on sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts