Center speaker placement

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate that the center speaker neest o go directly below the screen but how far below the sceen is acceptable? My TV (Panasonic DT30) doesn't have a particularly tall stand so I can't lay it on the same shelf as the TV is on else the picture would be blocked. The 3 shelves below (will) have other things on them (PVR, PS3, Mac Mini, AV Amp) so I'm wondering about laying it on the floor (carpeted) but not sure if that'll be too low. There isn't much I can do about it if it is too low - it'll impact my purchase decision.Thanks

naughty573

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar problem - I was going to wallmount the TV but it was impossible because my room is not synmetrical so i had to leave the TV on the stand - my solution was to cut a couple pieces of wood (MDF) in the exact shape of the base of the TV and place it on top of that so the centre speaker did not block any of the viewing area

heres a picture of what my setup looks like now with the TV placed onto those bits of MDF

rack2.jpg

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Naughty.

Not an approach I'd considered but I will do now. Due to the shape of the room, my shelving is tall rather than wide, but I guess a few extra inches wouldn't hurt.

thanks

naughty573

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I added only around 60 mm of additional height which is roughly just a little over 2 inches and it worked for me .... the thing is though my equipment rack is wider than it is low so i had a bit of an advantage

but i suppose the extra height in your instance would be preferable to leaving the centre speaker on the floor - thats not an option that works ie during movies you dont voices firing at your ankles - and despite the fact that speakers project sounds - from that low down you still wont get a very convincing effect because the tweeters on the centre speaker should by rights be as close to the same height as the tweeters on the side speakers... or as close to possible toward that aim

TRENDING THREADS