Celestion a2 need brightening up

Pickledonion

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone. It's just taken me ages to work out how to post here - I'm a bit thick and the nearer I get to 40, the more I struggle with technology. Apologies in advance if I have broken any protocol. Anyway... I am forever swapping bits of my not so high end gear, especially speakers. I am currently using some old celestion a2. They are superb in terms of low end resolution and have a very balanced and easy to listen to sound. They have replaced some B&w 684 which had a very strong mid range (at lowish volume at least). The mids on the 684s could be a bit much quite often and meant detail was lost elsewhere. Going from the 684s to the a2s has meant I am now missing some presence I guess. The a2s also miss a bit of sparkle or 'air'. I would like a bit more edge to the sound (better dynamics perhaps). A couple od places (wilmslow audio for one) have suggested replacing the caps. I have also considered experimentation with a supertweeter, if I could find a cheap one to try out. Perhaps a change of amp, though would need to be able to deliver some decent current to the celestions in order to avoid further loss of dynamics I reckon. Any other suggestions apprecIated. ???

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Your Celestions, using a D'appolito array, may benefit from a slight upward tilt, depending where you sit. This could help simulating tweeter height.

regards

Pickledonion

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Yes. I've heard that said before and am wrestling with the idea given the practical and aesthetic implications. Seems a rather silly design
in that respect perhaps, though I do understand the reason for it. I have no doubt the metal tweeter is capable of delivering and in fact was described as sometimes bright by reviewers some years ago. My experience is that the sound is balanced but not as exciting as I was hoping for. Definately not fatiguing though and probably would please many others.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Messing around with changing crossover parts/speaker internals can be hit and miss. Not a problem and it can be fun. Something may simply not be up to spec anymore so Wilmslow may be right. Super tweeters, such as from Townsend are not cheap but I have heard they can work well.

I guess it depends how much of the sound of your speakers you like and what it is worth to you

regards

Pickledonion

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
As I write I am listening after having put a couple of lengths of batten under the front spikes. It makes a big difference. Much more than I was expecting! Vocals particularly sound much more forward in the mix, so I'm very pleased. Thanks for giving me the nudge I needed to give it a go. I'm sure you're right with what you say re whether worth messing around. They cost me very little anyway as they were duffs when I bought them and just had to spend a few quid having a driver refurbished. They have the best bottom end I have heard in my listening room, and I have gone through a fair number of speakers the last couple of years. I used to gig with a band and play drums (badly) for a few years, so am really keen to hear what's going in with the rythm section.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts