Ceiling Speakers vs Wall Mounted

steveal

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
We've had a new sunroom/garden room/den built and I'm trying to decide on a set of small speakers for low-key music system (should have thought of this earlier...).

The ceiling is a curved vault in wood, like so:

9679103320_dbff16c89b.jpg

From the listening sofa on the right the view is like this:

9675868621_6c05cf2967.jpg

I've shown both ceiling speakers and wall mounted small speakers ( Q Acoustics 2010i sized).

Can anyone assess which might be the better option from a sound point of view?

Does the fact that the 2 ceiling speakers are effectively in the same void affect the sound?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Although I CAN see the picture above the advert at the top of the page, no idea how that's happened!

Either way, wall mounted "normal" speakers are ALWAYS going to sound better than ceiling speakers.

Have you considered a flat speaker such as the KEF T-series, they're available in black or white (apparently, I've still never seen the white ones)? That might be less intrusive than wall mounting a standard speaker.

steveal

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I tried all ways to get pictures shown. I even had the pictures visible in the 'insert/edit images' window, but they still didn't get through to the message - most frustrating...

The KEF model you suggested would hang down below the top of bi-fold doors like an afterthought (correct, but ugly). Something with a smaller face size is really needed.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I would take it that there are no speaker cables run for this project, if so it could get a little messy.

If it's for background listening it may be worth considering a sonos play3 or 5 which would be wirelessly connected to a bridge that's connected to your router.

You could then sign up to spotify or rdio and have as much music as you want. All you'd need then is a power supply for the play of your choice. This could be mounted at ear level position on one of your shelves.

You're probably aware that you have a lot of reflective surfaces which may be a problem if you mount your speakers at high level.

steveal

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
As an alternative to the in-ceiling speakers shown in the pictures above, I'm also considering a satellite/sub system such as the Cambridge Audio Minx, with either the Min 11 or the Min 21 mounted above the glass doors as the satellites.

Any opinion whether this is a better option than the in-ceiling attempt?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts