CDs to HDD query

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

New to the forum

Im looking at shifting all my music onto HDD to run through a music system and am looking for advice.

Budget is key and I hope to be able to use existing music system (Technics 5.1) and Home cinema/ent Denon (7.1) though equally im interested in any suggestions, particularly wireless speakers / systems etc.

Basicall need help, our 4 year old 'loves'CDs now ;-)

Cheers

Anthony

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi there and welcome!

When you say budget is key, can you let us know what budget you're thinking about? Presumably you're looking for a device that you can connect direct to your system, which you just insert your CDs into and it automatically rips them and then acts as media player?

nads

professorhat said:
Hi there and welcome!

When you say budget is key, can you let us know what budget you're thinking about? Presumably you're looking for a device that you can connect direct to your system, which you just insert your CDs into and it automatically rips them and then acts as media player?

Or are you looking for a device that will play via your set up the music you have already ripped to a hard drive/NAS?

or have you no idea and need help as to how to start?

A

Anonymous

Id guess hundreds rather than thousands of £

Really just putting out feelers to get ideas etc.

Either that or a sys that can link to a laptop and burn from there?

A

Anonymous

Help really. HAve thought about NAS and even media servers on the cheap but need ideas

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a Buffalo Linkstation NAS. They're cheap and mine has been reliable (please don't let that be a curse). You should be looking around £100 for that. You can - of course - spend a lot more and get better devices (Raid, drive slots, etc) but for a budget, this works for me.

Next, you'll need to get content on the NAS. Assuming you're a Windows user, download dbPoweramp. This is a nifty bit of ripping software. This is the most tedious part, sitting for hour after hour ripping CDs :)

All ripped? You'll need a way of managing your library. I use MediaMonkey to organise, tag etc. Others use different bits of software, and any recommendation you get on here is going to be a good one.

Finally, it's playback time. I'll butt out at this point as I use Sonos, but other members can give you different options.

This is just one possible solution, but you could be up and running quite cheaply.

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Vortexbox with Vortex Music Player, Cocktail Audio X10, Olive 3HD, Brennan JB7 (*)

(*) One of these suggestions is just for comedy value ;)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
How comfortable are you with setting up components like NAS boxes, using computer programs like dbPoweramp and MediaMonkey (or even something like iTunes)?

As you're probably aware now, there are many, many options for achieving what you want!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
amcluesent said:
Vortexbox with Vortex Music Player, Cocktail Audio X10, Olive 3HD, Brennan JB7 (*)

(*) One of these suggestions is just for comedy value ;)

Yeah, you're not fooling anyone....who'd name a product Olive :rofl:

A

Anonymous

Im happy with all that kind of stuff, as long as it works and is 4 year old proof.. I know you cant proof anything from a 4 year old with eclectic tastes so scratch that.

HW & SW not a prob

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
In that case, pretty much any option is open to you. I'd start with the programs Lee's mentioned and maybe do a bit of research of similar software and see which one you like.

Once you've started ripping, you can then decide if you want to look into a streaming device of some kind, or whether you just stick to using your laptop to play the music.

A

Anonymous

Cheers guys, had looked at Linkstations previsously and found a nice looking one on eBay via DABS

Just got to work out logistics and what media player HW to use if we go this way.

My wife is hoping to get rid of the ugly (but noisly great) Technics 5.1 in the kitchen diner lounge area so will start checking that side out ;-)

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts