CDs for audition

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hiya

What favourite CDs would you good people take to a store for audition say an amplifier, obviously something that challenges the equipment but does anyone have any favourites?

A

Anonymous

Moby-Play
emotion-5.gif

Gyp

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
World Party - Goodbye Jumbo; how well does it handle complex tracks
Beverley Craven - Beverley Craven; lovely crisp sound
Michael Jackson - Dangerous; is that glass breaking or something like glass?
Ronny Jordan - The Antidote; tight bass, and does it sound like an instrument or just tight bass?
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - A Night in Tunisia; just stunning, especially when you consider the kit it was recorded on. Got to pin you to the spot with your glass of bourbon rather than have you reaching for the remote.

That's a start anyway

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Bob Marley's exodus, Dire Strait's love over gold, Thinn Lizzy's Live and Dangerous.

Although if you demo before buy just take your favourate cd that you know the song off by heart so you can hear the different in A/B comparison.

A

Anonymous

underworld-beaucoup fish ,

the the- soul mining ,

badly drawn boy- hour of the bewilderbeast ,

jeff buckley-grace ,

nirvana- nevermind

I always take some well produced ones as well as poorly produced.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I agree with the Moby - Play. Fantastic album!

I take Pink Floyd (The Wall and Dark Side Of The Moon), Van Halen 1984, U2 Joshua Tree (Because its rather poor quality and I like their music), some other random rock stuff...I always used to test hi-fi stuff with Kate Bush albums (they are very good when played on certain systems and not on others)...Oasis (not great quality but its the kind of stuff I listen to and that counts) and Dire Straits (very good recordings). I have plenty of vinyls too, infact, I use Pink Floyd Vinyls more than CDs because they are much better (but then, they are one of the best)!

A

Anonymous

You should take something you are really familiar with. Taking an awesome sounding CD that you really haven't heard much won't tell you much about the system.

A

Anonymous

I think Thaimans spot on and the only way I can tell - take my best known cd's along. I can tell immediately if its to my liking or not (apart from the Primare that took me a weekend and an understanding 7oaks to decide I didn't like).

Avoid the temptation to take along flattering cd's to see how good the equipment in question can sound - good cd's will usually sound good, but bad ones can sound awful.

Hope this makes sense.

A

Anonymous

Led Zep - No Quarter
Metallica - black album, master of puppets
Tchaikovsky - symphony 6, Mravinsky, Leningrad Phil
Mellisa Etheridge - first album
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Genesis - 12" Mama
Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
Frankie goes to Holywood - 12" of War
more!!!!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"] have plenty of vinyls too, infact, I use Pink Floyd Vinyls more than CDs
because they are much better (but then, they are one of the best)![/quote] Have to agree with that.

matthewpiano

I take whatever I'm listening to most at the time, but my selection always includes a representation of every genre of music because my tastes are so eclectic and any equipment I buy HAS to be good across all styles.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="bloney"]I think Thaimans spot on and the only way I can tell - take my best known cd's along. I can tell immediately if its to my liking or not (apart from the Primare that took me a weekend and an understanding 7oaks to decide I didn't like).

Avoid the temptation to take along flattering cd's to see how good the equipment in question can sound - good cd's will usually sound good, but bad ones can sound awful.

Hope this makes sense.[/quote]

I totally concur....

A

Anonymous

You could make a compilation - it's quicker and easier than swapping lots of originals.

When I bought my last CD/DVD player, I took things that I enjoyed in the house, but didn't enjoy in the car, on the grounds that that probably meant that my enjoyment was dependent upon the quality of the reproduction!

A

Anonymous

Metallica's - The Black Album.
Cos i know it so well
Choose one that YOU know well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts