ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
About 500 hours, give or take a few dozen depending on the ambient room temperature and the alignment of your chakras.

mojoseven

May 31, 2009
Visit site
it's been running since Friday morning, slight improvement but on the whole it sounds

dire. It's hooked up to an A/lab 8000p mk 2 into a pair Ruark Templars or Epos es 11's.

Sounds like there's a blanket over the speakers!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
mojoseven said:
it's been running since Friday morning, slight improvement but on the whole it sounds

dire. It's hooked up to an A/lab 8000p mk 2 into a pair Ruark Templars or Epos es 11's.

What were you using before mojo?

mojoseven

May 31, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
mojoseven said:

mojoseven

May 31, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
mojoseven said:

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Is the CD running straight into the 8000p?

The 8000p needs a pre amp - if you are still running it via the 8000s pls ignore this post....eh..em.

But if you're running the cdplayer direct....you'll need to put the 8000s back in place.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Is the CD running straight into the 8000p?

The 8000p needs a pre amp - if you are still running it via the 8000s pls ignore this post....eh..em.

But if you're running the cdplayer direct....you'll need to put the 8000s back in place.

Why?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
mojoseven said:
an audiolab CD8000 mkII, using an 8000S as a pre

Pure speculation, but here goes.

The old 8000 series product had a reputation for sounding a bit 'clinical', a somewhat hard, shiny sort of presentation, mostly caused by the cd player and pre amps. The power amplifiers were always the best part of that particular range.

The Ruark speakers were always rather smoothed off, a bit dull sounding to some people, so maybe your new CDQ is smoother than the old series and, in combination with the Ruarks, rather dull.

Not sure why this should be the case with the Epos though.......*unknw*

What setup were you mostly listening to prior to the change?

mojoseven

May 31, 2009
Visit site
The Epos are in many ways the opposite of the Ruarks, noticably clear theough the mid range with good

bass and a slightly wayward top end in my experience. I'm not thinking about changing either just yet.

After all everything was fine before the CDQ. I can hear a lot going on in the cd player it's just so distant.

Just trying to get some idea of other peoples experience of burn in time

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
mojoseven said:

It seems that "burn-in" has gotten in this forum in the same category as cables.

I didn't have any particular opinion about the subject, but also had never realized any sort of burn-in process with previous gear that I bought—apart from speakers and headphones.

It just so happens that with my current DAC-V1, I've noticed some sort of burn-in. The sound was slightly shrill when I first plugged it, and that went away in the first few hours. Then, like three days later or so, I noticed that the bass had become just a tad softer. This latter change has been more subtle—but also clearer to discern and less likely to be attributable to getting used to the sound.

Anyways, I'm not trying to encourage you to try harder with your CDQ. If you are not enjoying the sound so much and there is something you can do about it, I'd do it—and not expect any sort of big change that will likely not happen.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
mojoseven said:
thanks for the input.

I had a quick listen through the Epos earlier, things do seem to be improving.

You are adjusting to the new sound, that really is all that is happening here.

If you are not sure now, change it while you can.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
unsleepable said:
mojoseven said:

It seems that "burn-in" has gotten in this forum in the same category as cables.

I didn't have any particular opinion about the subject, but also had never realized any sort of burn-in process with previous gear that I bought—apart from speakers and headphones...

I've noticed burn in for the first time this week. It was with headphones that were a bit lean at first and needed a bit of EQ to get the tonal character right but now the treble has reduced and the bass filled out a bit so they no longer need EQing like before.

I've never noticed burn in with electronics though.

TRENDING THREADS