CDP To DAC Advice please

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Never though I'd have a "computer" but redundancy pay-out changed my mind!Anyway, I've begun to start ripping my CD's to Apple Lossless (phew, long job!), and I'm now looking at giving a DAC a go. USB only as the PC as no optical, so any suggestions please? I'm not looking/going to change anything else in my set-up apart from the CDP to free up some much needed space. Rega overkill perhaps? Thanks for any suggestions

Never though I'd have a "computer" but redundancy pay-out changed my mind!

Anyway, I've begun to start ripping my CD's to Apple Lossless (phew, long job!), and I'm now looking at giving a DAC a go. USB only as the PC as no optical, so any suggestions please? I'm not looking/going to change anything else in my set-up apart from the CDP to free up some much needed space. Rega overkill perhaps? Thanks for any suggestions

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
So I guess you want to play from pc through DAC, correct?

What's your budget?

If you are thinking to connect the pc to the DAC through an USB, best solution at 300eur target would be probably the arcam DAC. You can play up to 24/96 whilst on the Rega you are limited to 16/44.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Budget maxed out at £500. Love my 6003 but don't want to get in to overkill. As I said, I'm not upgrading anything else so I'm obviously looking for something to at least match it and hopefully better it. Was going to upgrade the whole set-up a few months ago but decided I was happy with what i have so went no further.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Sizzers said:
Budget maxed out at £500. Love my 6003 but don't want to get in to overkill. As I said, I'm not upgrading anything else so I'm obviously looking for something to at least match it and hopefully better it. Was going to upgrade the whole set-up a few months ago but decided I was happy with what i have so went no further.

So you basically want to replace your CDP with PC+DAC I guess, correct?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Actually, your best bet at your budget, may well be a usb bus powered audio interface,

Roland UA-25EX, for example or maybe the HRT Music Streamer?

Is your PC recent? There is a good chance that will have a dual headphone/optical out socket, if so, your option will increase.

T

the record spot

Look out the Firestone Audio Spitfire II - nice little DAC, good build and three inputs: one each from coax, optical and USB. £250.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You could also take the fleaBay route and go for a Cyrus DAC X. There is one on there for £725 at the moment but ignore that nonsense . It has been on there for months and they usually go for £500-ish. Plenty of scope for upgrading as your budget increases, (DAC X to DAC X + or simply adding a PSX-R power supply).

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
If you're committed to USB straight out of your computer why not bite the bullet and get something like an M-DAC, which could be cheaper/more satisfying in the long term?

There's a lot to get wrong with computer audio and you could easily spend £300 and end up with a worse sound than your CD6003. Some DACs sound their best through USB and others don't (e.g. Rega), in which case you'd need a USB converter etc. etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts