CD vs Blu Ray

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi, probably been asked before but...... For convenience I wonder how much more you need to pay for a BR player to get roughly equivalent sound performance as a pure CD player ?

Using Sony BDP-470 at the moment and nowhere near as good as TEchnica SL-B2 deck but better than old Pillips CD610 .

Looking to drive my Rega RS5s but I think I need better source info.

Also, in general how good is BR sound ( for instance on Music BR ) compared to CD .?

thanks.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
BluRay discs have the capacity to store hours and hours of audio in a resolution which is exponentially higher than CD, yet as with all HD audio formats, most improvements you hear will be because a better master was used to create them, rather than it being a direct result of the the HD format itself.

As for your other query (ie how much do you have to spend on a BD player with audio electronics at least as good as a decent CDP), that's a fair question, and I bet there's no definitive formula.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I recently connected both my Panasonic BluRay player and my Marantz SA7001 cd player to my Marantz PM7001 amp.

I put Steven Wilson's 'Raven That Refused To Sing' cd into the Marantz and the same 'Raven' dvd-v playing at 96/24 Stereo LPCM into the Panasonic and i could hear absolutely no difference between the discs at all.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
stevee1966 said:
I recently connected both my Panasonic BluRay player and my Marantz SA7001 cd player to my Marantz PM7001 amp.

I put Steven Wilson's 'Raven That Refused To Sing' cd into the Marantz and the same 'Raven' dvd-v playing at 96/24 Stereo LPCM into the Panasonic and i could hear absolutely no difference between the discs at all.

Given how easy it is to produce a perfect DAC these days, I am not surprised.

I'd steer clear of el cheapo Tesco stuff, but I would bet any mid-range player will sound pretty much the same.

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, so difficult to do these comparisons. I only found the big difference between my BDP-470 and the vinyl. But I suppose its to be expected. I just wish I could get same sound quality from CD as vinyl :cry: Not gonna happen with my budget. Would be nice if there was a good hi fi / home system show to really see all that's available . So I'll keep reading ... Fitted Rega speaker cable today and did bring a little more ' cohesion' to the sound -well that's what I think.... Phil

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts