cd / vinyl cleaners

• Thread starter Deleted member 188516
  • Start date

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
For CD's I use the glasses (ie spectacles) cleaner sachets from poundland, seems to do the job very cheaply

Vinyl used to use a velvet brush, been a long time since I've used the format though tbh. I would avoid using cleaning products on those myself, seems like an accident waiting to happen

D

Deleted member 116933

any recommendations for cd or vinyl cleaning products ? i understand that some polishes can leave a residue when removed (?). also is this vinyl cleaning product a good idea or does this leave a residue on the record as well ?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIqbXoMafUM

I use that project putty it’s almost as good using a vacuum really gets in there! Not a lot use it though

I also use that in combination with a product called clear mint. After using the putty to remove the granular dust and grit from the record surface.

People have many different cleaning methods it’s more contentious than cables in the vinyl world. lol

The above works for me and minimal work involved. If the records are handled well a proper wet clean and vacuum shouldn’t ever really be needed. Prevention is better as they say.

DCarmi

For very dirty records I second the Knosti. I inherited a large quantity of vinyl from my mother, most which she picked up second hand. Lots were unplayable. After using the Knosti and most were then fine. I could see how filthy they were from the colour of the cleaning fluid after use!

Day-to-day cleaning, I use a carbon fibre brush (just let it tickle the record's surface) and a sometimes a soft cloth.

Reactions: Al ears

iMark

I have brought back scratched CDs to life with a drop of washing up liquid, gently rubbing it over the surface, then rinse the disc under the cold tap and dry. After that procedure most scratched discs will play and rip perfectly with error correction on. CDs normally don't need any cleaning.

I also like the Knosti for cleaning LPs. I've had good results with second hand LPs.

For new LPs I will always use antistatic inner sleeves when not provided. Never touch the surface and use carbon fiber brush and stylus bruh, like @Gray .

The stuff is a lot better than what my parents used. Does anyone remember the Dust Bug and the Disc Preener? It's a miracle that I can still play the records I inherited and that most of them still sound OK.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts