CD transport noise

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

LongliveCD

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
If you’ve spent more than £100 on a disc player of any kind, in my opinion you have every right to expect it to be quiet and reliable. I can’t even tell you the make of my blue ray player; it really is some cheap generic thing I bought off the internet for about £50, but it is absolutely silent and plays everything I throw at it. So if they can achieve it in a blue ray player costing peanuts, they can achieve it in CD players costing exponentially more.

We really should stop accepting shoddily-built or poorly-designed hifi gear, particularly as we pay considerably more for our kit than the average consumer. Long before they even begin to spend money on the parts that give us better sound quality, they should make sure the basics are at least on par with a £40 Bush micro system from Argos.

I am completelly agree with you and that's my point. How can someone produce a noisy HIFI player to listen music? I am sure that there are good basic solutions to minimize the sound produce by the player. In addition, if you can find it on some systems, is it really so expensive to use it in entry-level HIFI player?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
LongliveCD said:
MajorFubar said:
If you’ve spent more than £100 on a disc player of any kind, in my opinion you have every right to expect it to be quiet and reliable. I can’t even tell you the make of my blue ray player; it really is some cheap generic thing I bought off the internet for about £50, but it is absolutely silent and plays everything I throw at it. So if they can achieve it in a blue ray player costing peanuts, they can achieve it in CD players costing exponentially more.

We really should stop accepting shoddily-built or poorly-designed hifi gear, particularly as we pay considerably more for our kit than the average consumer. Long before they even begin to spend money on the parts that give us better sound quality, they should make sure the basics are at least on par with a £40 Bush micro system from Argos.

I am completelly agree with you and that's my point. How can someone produce a noisy HIFI player to listen music? I am sure that there are good basic solutions to minimize the sound produce by the player. In addition, if you can find it on some systems, is it really so expensive to use it in entry-level HIFI player?

I spent £17K on a Devialet 800 that sounded like a central heating boiler, and that didn't even have any moving parts! Sent it back and was told the noisy power supply I could hear was within specification so they wouldn't even consider it a fault, let alone try to fix it. Needless to say I no longer, and will never again, own a product manufactured by Devialet. Sometimes voting with your feet is the only way...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah exactly, that's the only way IMO.

cse said:
Are you absolutely sure that it is completely silent. By this I mean listening at night in complete silence, to some classical music that has many pauses and breaks in the music. It is at this time that you can here even the quietest of mechanical noises and this can be very annoying to the deserning listener. In more normal conditions, no noises are heard that cause distraction with the majority of units.

I haven't pressed my ear to it but compared to the player in the video posted by LongLiveCD it is essentially noiseless, other than the sound inevitably made by a round disc spinning at upto 1500rpm.

It's not too long ago that we had a thread on here about certain CD players costing four figure sums which were fussy over what CDs they would play. It was eventually found out to be because the diameter of CDs routinely varies by about half a mm from the red book standard, and these particular players couldn't recognise 'oversized' CDs. I won't tell you the make because Drummerman already thinks this forum has an anti-Cy**s agenda. Anyhow it was IMO an utter disgrace when you can easily buy something from Tesco for £20 that will play just about everything you throw at it, films and all. As enthusiasts we shouldn't be paying hundreds and thousands to beta-test manufacturers' poorly designed sh-t.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
I had also the same problem with many cd players. There is no solution, I sold all noisy players (excep. Arcam CD 73).

It was very noisy: Philips CD 600 series, Denon DCD 685, Nad C 515 BEE, NAD C 525 BEE

It was just a little noisy: Arcam Diva CD 72 and 73

It was absolutly whitout noise spinning the disc: Onkyo C 7030, Marantz CD 5001,

In my experience Marantz cd players (5000 and 6000 series etc.) have very quiet transport. Yamaha and Onkyo cd players (current models) have also a quiet transport.

D

Deleted member 108165

I can vouch for Marantz. I've owned both the CD6004 and SA-KI CD players and they are quiet in operation.

matthewpiano

Tibor said:
One of my friends has Onkyo DX 7355, and yes it has a noisy transport*sad*
I find it is noisy when loading a CD and queing, but it quietens down to being inaudible once the laser is focused and playing the disc back. This is fine for me. I don't much care how much noisy it makes when it isn't playing music. It's during playback that I want it to be whisper quiet, and the DX 7355 is.

LongliveCD

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
Under advice of a friend I have explained the situation to Amazon. They answer me in about two hour showing an exceptional customer service and providing a solution according to my needs. Great Amazon.

I think I will go for a Marantz cd5005. It seems a good deal at this moment.

Thank you very much for your answers

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Ive tried dvd and blu ray players but they have been pretty noisy in comparison to a dedicated cd player. Maybe sacd players are noisier as they spin faster? Also there doesn't seem to be many proper hifi cabinets sold any more. This is a shame as it keeps the dust off, protects the equipment and reduces the noise more than open shelves.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts