CD transport noise

matthewpiano

I'm looking for ideas for quietening down the transport on my CD player. I love the sound my system is making now, but the CD player is noisier than any other I have had and, having tried it in several different positions in the room, I am now running out of ideas. I need to find a way of subduing the transport noise because it is really irritating when listening to solo piano music.

Would it be worth trying any kind of isolation feet or similar? Any other ideas?

A

Anonymous

Wow matthew, you,ve iether got hearing like a bat or maybe the cd casing is very thin and flimsy, if you,ve been playing piano for years then i don,t think your hearing could be 100% ( same here with amplified guitar ), is this at very low or comfortable listening levels ?

John

A

Anonymous

The Arcam I had before was the same, could hear it when the cd's were playing. Tried those feet, but did not work. My solution was to turn up the volume a bit
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Thats a right pain. I take it is when your listening at very low levels that you can hear the transport etc noise?

matthewpiano

potboyslim:
Thats a right pain. I take it is when your listening at very low levels that you can hear the transport etc noise?

I generally listen at about 8 o'clock on the volume dial, which I find quite comfortable, but I can often hear the transport noise to the point where it is irritating. I think it is probably a by-product of relatively thin casing and I'll probably have to either buy an enclosed cupboard or put up with it by the sounds of it.

A

Anonymous

I tried a granite chopping board on top of the cd player to try and minimise the sound coming through, try it and see if it does anything for your cd player.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
You could buy some self-adhesive Bitumex plates and glue them on the inside of the cdplayer. That will make the players inside acoustically dead.

I'm planning on doing that with my Denon dvd1740 too, which is VERY noisy

idc

I agree with the granite and stick on bitumex and would add that maybe some attenuation between CDP and amp would give you more range in the volume control to try and cover the noise without going too loud.

A

Anonymous

Attenuation's not going to do much. You use it if your amp's distorting, that's all

MP my Marantz also has a loud transport, and I've never found a fix. However, since I switched to streaming, the problem went away....

LongliveCD

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
Hi everybody,

I am sorry to introduce myself on this way but I want to share my experience with my Pioneer PD30 SACD player. I hope it can provide some advice in case you are looking for a CD or cheap SACD player. Although it sounds really well the player makes a strong mechanical noise. Actually is really annoying and do not allow to enjoy listening music, in special if you want to listen at night at low level.

In addition after picking up the player by second time from the service center this is what I found at home. You can find a recording uploaded to youtube here:

https://youtu.be/r0uPUmiR1EQ

So my point is: Is it really worth to make the effort of buying entry level HIFI players when you can find cheap BDP or DVDP? Can you recommend me quiet CDP or we are force to do streaming?

As a summary: This is a noisy and not reliable player so you should better look for other ones.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Some mechs are inherently noisy. There are some very expensive Esoteric transports that sound like a tractor. They are within spec, just noisy. Caveat Emptor I'm afraid. You need to listen to them, and I mean listen to them before buying.

Gazzip said:
Some mechs are inherently noisy. There are some very expensive Esoteric transports that sound like a tractor. They are within spec, just noisy. Caveat Emptor I'm afraid. You need to listen to them, and I mean listen to them before buying.

If I was going to slag off Pioneer I wouldn't do it on the back of a thread that is six years old ;-)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Gazzip said:

If I was going to slag off Pioneer I wouldn't do it on the back of a thread that is six years old ;-)

To be fair the new poster's thread to which he replied isn't six year's old...but why not just start a new thread instead of raking up an old one. Anyhow...

The only time I've heard player that noisy is when the disc hasn't been absolutely flat and so the fast rotation sets up oscillations. Is every disc you play just as noisy? If not, then that could be your answer. If it is, then I agree, it's a poorly built / cheaply made transport.

LongliveCD

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
Actually it has been a noisy player since I bough it. I would say it was a noisy player but I could live with it. However the mechanic sound gets louder randomly with different discs. Sometimes it gets better when you open and close the tray, so I agree that the problem is the transport.

On the other hand the recording has been done just returned from service by second time so I cannot see a good solution. I can expect some hissing but my sony cd walkman was quieter.

Somebody can share experiences with yamaha or marantz players?

Thanks a lot for your answers

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
LongliveCD said:

Only old Marantz players that were built when CD was the pinnacle of domestic digital technology and so the manufacturers concentrated on build quality quite a bit more. They were very quiet.

LongliveCD said:
Actually it has been a noisy player since I bough it. I would say it was a noisy player but I could live with it. However the mechanic sound gets louder randomly with different discs. Sometimes it gets better when you open and close the tray, so I agree that the problem is the transport.

On the other hand the recording has been done just returned from service by second time so I cannot see a good solution. I can expect some hissing but my sony cd walkman was quieter.

Thanks a lot for your answers

If it's still that bad return it as unfit for purpose.

MajorFubar said:
Al ears said:
Gazzip said:

To be fair the new poster's thread to which he replied isn't six year's old...but why not just start a new thread instead of raking up an old one. Anyhow...

The only time I've heard player that noisy is when the disc hasn't been absolutely flat and so the fast rotation sets up oscillations. Is every disc you play just as noisy? If not, then that could be your answer. If it is, then I agree, it's a poorly built / cheaply made transport.

It is. Before his post the previous one was mathewpiano's of 27/04/2010 unless I am not reading this right.

matthewpiano

Transport noise irritates me intensely. I have a few CD players but the two that are virtually silent in operation are the Onkyo in my signature (a stunning player all round), and the NAD C316BEE. My Denon DCD720ae is a bit noisier, although not as bad as some I've had in the past and mostly only a problem with small-scale acoustic/chamber/instrumental music.

My Dad also has an Onkyo CD player - a C7030 - which is also virtually silent in operation.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Stop playing John Cage's 4' 33" on repeat.

I think you will find that John Cage's masterpiece is for full orchestra.

I also have suffered with transport noise. My Micromega was dreadfully noisy, but my current Arcam Solo Music is better, although not inaudible when listening to piano at night. Could you borrow a CD player that you might be interested in in purchasing from a dealer and try at home.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If you’ve spent more than £100 on a disc player of any kind, in my opinion you have every right to expect it to be quiet and reliable. I can’t even tell you the make of my blue ray player; it really is some cheap generic thing I bought off the internet for about £50, but it is absolutely silent and plays everything I throw at it. So if they can achieve it in a blue ray player costing peanuts, they can achieve it in CD players costing exponentially more.

We really should stop accepting shoddily-built or poorly-designed hifi gear, particularly as we pay considerably more for our kit than the average consumer. Long before they even begin to spend money on the parts that give us better sound quality, they should make sure the basics are at least on par with a £40 Bush micro system from Argos.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Are you absolutely sure that it is completely silent. By this I mean listening at night in complete silence, to some classical music that has many pauses and breaks in the music. It is at this time that you can here even the quietest of mechanical noises and this can be very annoying to the deserning listener. In more normal conditions, no noises are heard that cause distraction with the majority of units.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts