Question CD transport advice

Wilts Hobbit

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
Hi all. Having had it from new my Meridian 200 transport has just about given up the ghost, error codes all the time and it will only occasionally play a disc now if I am lucky. So I am really not sure what option to take. The obvious thing to do is purchase a new transport but I have a limited budget at the moment. Really loved the sound I had with the 200 transport. Currently i have a Rega elex-r amp, denafrips ares ii dac and mission 753 speakers. I could stretch to £500 pounds for a transport my question is would it be best to buy what I can get new or maybe purchase a what was more expensive transport 2nd hand? I also have a marantz cd6005 cd player not in use, that could run through the the denafrips but would a dedicated transport be a better option? Apologies for the long post. Bit confused to be honest. Many thanks in advance.

Wilts Hobbit

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
If you have that to hand then use it , when it fails buy an Audiolab 6000cdt transport.
Thanks all for your replies much appreciated... Have been doing some research this afternoon @ Al ears the Audiolab cdt peaked my interest Think I might pop to my excellent local Audio T and try it at home side by side with the Marantz for comparison to see what I think, if the Audiolab is better then I could part ex the marantz if not at least I know. As ever thanks all.

Reactions: Gray

Oxfordian

Thanks all for your replies much appreciated... Have been doing some research this afternoon @ Al ears the Audiolab cdt peaked my interest Think I might pop to my excellent local Audio T and try it at home side by side with the Marantz for comparison to see what I think, if the Audiolab is better then I could part ex the marantz if not at least I know. As ever thanks all.

I’ll vouch for the 6000cdt, a great transport, one of the best bargains around IMHO.

Reactions: Al ears

Wilts Hobbit

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
Will be an interesting comparison (they should be nicely level-matched).
Let us know what you find.
Tbh I was not sure what if any improvement I would hear. Intial thoughts are are quite surprising. To me there is a cleaner and tighter bass, better sound stage and more clarity in the mids and the vocals, but without harshness the sound is full and has a slight tonal warmth which I favour. I did 4 or 5 back to back comparisons and then gave up and am simply enjoying the Audiolab. Will update after some more hours of listening and I do wonder if some of the improvements are that I have lucked out with the system matching. Thanks all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oxfordian and Gray

Oxfordian

Tbh I was not sure what if any improvement I would hear. Intial thoughts are are quite surprising. To me there is a cleaner and tighter bass, better sound stage and more clarity in the mids and the vocals, but without harshness the sound is full and has a slight tonal warmth which I favour. I did 4 or 5 back to back comparisons and then gave up and am simply enjoying the Audiolab. Will update after some more hours of listening and I do wonder if some of the improvements are that I have lucked out with the system matching. Thanks all.

A few days in and how is the grin, still there or has it turned into a scowl?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts