CD to AV receiver: Digital coaxial, optical or phono???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm building a 5.1 system, powered by an Onkyo TX-SR705 with the B&W 685 theatre package.

I want to add a Marantz CD6002 but how do I connect it to the receiver? As far as I can tell, I have three options: (1) digital coaxial, (2) optical, (3) analogue phono cables.

Is there an easy answer as to which is best? Does it depend on other things or just personal preference?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

On second thoughts, I'm guessing it's the CD In, below the Component Video, to the left of TAPE.

A

Anonymous

Ah, I see. I never would have gotten that. What about connecting a turntable?

Is there any chance of a WHFSV (idiot's) guide to navigating the back of your receiver? Or is there any good online guide out there that you know of?

Thanks again.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the turntable goes to the phono input.

Will have a think about the guide to the back of receiver - it's certainly one of the things we'll be looking at when we can have video guides online next Spring as part of the next phase of the site, but will try to work out a simpler version for the current site when I have some time.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
BTW in case you're wondering why I suggest using the front LR inputs and not the CD connection, it just seems that on these amps the multichannel audio input gives a cleaner sound, quite possibly because these connections have a simpler route through the unit.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for clearing that up - I was wondering.

I have much to learn!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jphealy"]

I have much to learn!

[/quote]

Indeed, Grasshopper...

emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Thought you'd figured it out yourself but just in case, don't forget to reassign 'Direct inputs' (or whatever it is called on your receiver remote) to CD, otherwise, to select the CD player you will have to hit the 'Direct inputs' button. Not a big thing but in case your wife happens to be as gadget savvy as mine
emotion-17.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks. Don't have the receiver yet, but it's good to know I should be able to reassign the remote buttons like that.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ranjeetrain"]
Don't forget to reassign 'Direct inputs' (or whatever it is called on your receiver remote) to CD

[/quote]

Thanks for that reminder, ranjeetrain. Fortunately on these receivers it's very simple to do

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]Thanks for that reminder, ranjeetrain. Fortunately on these receivers it's very simple to do [/quote]

Ah nothing big, I was just reading through and thought this question was in pipeline
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Andrew (or anybody else who can answer!) - one more question on this topic. I know it was a while ago, but I've just thought of something else.

You advised me to connect the CD player straight to the L/R multichannel inputs. I was thinking of bi-amping the front speaker pair, using the 6th and 7th channel on the Onkyo as I've heard it allows you to do. I figure the pair of 685s deserve it. Will this affect how I should connect the CD player? Will it work properly connected directly to the L/R multichannel inputs, if I'm bi-amping the fronts?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Great, thanks Andrew.

Do you think it's worth bi-amping the 685s like this in this setup? I'd like to get pretty good stereo sound from CDs, but don't really want a seperate stereo amp. Will bi-amping using the 705s extra channels make a significant difference to the stereo sound from the CD6002? It would mean a little extra expense for the QED SA XT bi-wire for the front speakers, but nothing that would break the bank.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Biamping the 685s can't do any harm, and should give a tighter, more focused sound. But for an even better sound from CD perhaps some larger speakers might be worth considering...

A

Anonymous

Well, the 685s are already ordered (along with the 686s for the rear, the HTM62 centre and ASW608 sub), so that decision is basically made.

I had thought of larger speakers for the front, but it's for a room of about 3.5m x 5m, in a small apartment (or what you'd call a flat in the UK - I'm in Dublin). Figured standmounts would be big enough - didn't want to get too boomy. Also, I was happy ordering the 685s after their product of the year award.

nads

sounds about the same size as my front room in my apartment.

I went the seperat set up and i find book shelves great for the suround But the stereo is a nice big pair of Bi-amped 703's ;)

A

Anonymous

I'd say those 703s are pretty awesome - but maybe slightly out of my budget! I'm only starting out in this whole hi-fi / home cinema world. Maybe I'll upgrade someday, but for now, I think those 685s will have to do.

nads

[quote user="jphealy"]
I'd say those 703s are pretty awesome - but maybe slightly out of my budget! I'm only starting out in this whole hi-fi / home cinema world. Maybe I'll upgrade someday, but for now, I think those 685s will have to do.
[/quote]

they were out of my buget!but going back to a student diet and having fat reserves got me through the saving.

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
lol.....lol......jeeez your such a funny ****** sometimes nads !!!!!......How are the 703's going. I had a pair of CDM 9 speakers couple of years back sound just great and that was using a NAD T760 av reciever..

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"][quote user="ranjeetrain"]
Don't forget to reassign 'Direct inputs' (or whatever it is called on your receiver remote) to CD

[/quote]

Thanks for that reminder, ranjeetrain. Fortunately on these receivers it's very simple to do

[/quote]

At last, I actually have the receiver now and can do all these things in practice! One problem though - I have to select the "MULTI CH" button on the remote to get this input and I can't seem to reassign the input to the CD button. It seems to me that you can only assign one of the digital inputs (opt or coax) to the CD button. This is my very first AV amp and I'm still very much just getting used to it, so I could well be missing something. Andrew - you did say it was very simple!

If anybody can tell me if this can be done, and how, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts