Cd Storage

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi All, due to the fact my main system is in the lounge and my CD collection is upstairs at the other end of the house. I am thinking of committing sacralidge... By buying a few 400 disc wallets and transferring inlay and disc to these and ditching the cases so I have instant access to them and make my music more accessible. The wife would also love the space retrieved from the bookshelves. Has anyone done this and instantly regretted it or has it been the best thing you've done. Just after some opinions please, cheers...

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Yeah they'd only be in the cupboard below my system. Never used them before or even thought the fabric/plastic could scratch a disc. Thanks food for thought!

DCarmi

I did that because I listen to music in different locations, in the house. I thought, I could just pick up a case and travel. In reality, it didn't work.

I got fed up with opening and closing the case. I'd sigh because I'd come upstairs and forgotten I'd left the case downstairs. Hunting for a CD and putting them back in the correct position, was a pain. After a short while the filing system became a mess. (Not to mention if I bought a new CD meant the potential of having to refile!!) I went back to the CD boxes and keep some in each location.

Once in a while I'll freshen things up, by swapping a few around.

Reactions: Rollo

matthewpiano

I did this with a large number of discs to keep an ex-partner happy, and I came to regret it to the point where I have since replaced a number of these CDs with new copies.

It's much simpler and more satisfying to browse through discs on the shelf, and this approach can be made to look very neat. I now have tall bookcases from Ikea with doors on (half solid, half glass) which match our room. This was suggested by my fiancee, and it has proven to be ideal.

D

Deleted member 108165

No other half to please so my CDs are in the lounge in CD racks. What I've done though is rip them all to an old small form factor PC using Foobar as an audio player for convenience. The only ones that I haven't ripped are my small classical and SACD collection.

Lutfij

Apr 5, 2020
Visit site
I lost count of my CD's after 350(or so) and it kept growing. The only thing was I didn't show it off to the masses. Instead I kept them in my wardrobe which had a special section for all my music gear and content. I did manage to buy some Caselogic storage containers(not wallets but boxes) for them but figured that a box that was as deep as the depth of the CD jewel case did the trick cheaper and I had them flat stacked on a shelf, continually cleaning the top of the boxes.

As for your wallet idea, yeah, the point made by anort3 is right, I instantly regretted putting my DVD collection in one and the scratches on them are horrible at the very least.

danny-79

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
Don’t do it you will regret it big style

Can’t attach photos for some reason but have a similar set up to DIB.

just take a few down stairs and refresh every now and again as the fancy takes you

D

Deleted member 188533

@danny-79 You should be able to upload images directly using Insert Image ( Ctrl + P ). If that doesn't work try a free image host like Imgur.

D

Deleted member 188533

Hmmm must be a file type Xenforo doesn't like. You try Imgur?

D

Deleted member 188533

Not sure. This is one of the few Future forums that allows direct image uploads. Too hard to police the content on the busier sites so I've used Imgur and the like for years.

danny-79

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
Not sure. This is one of the few Future forums that allows direct image uploads. Too hard to police the content on the busier sites so I've used Imgur and the like for years.

😂😂😂 just tried to download the imgur app. I need a higher iOS than what I’ve got (13 and I’m at 12.4 lol)

D

Deleted member 188533

I didn't even know imgur had an app but I use a PC or ( Windows ) laptop 99.5% of the time. If I had to internet with a phone or tablet I probably just wouldn't.

I've 'only' got about 600 CDs but I agree with ripping them to a digital format. Recently I've had 2 that date back to the late 80s / early 90s just shatter in my hand from taking them out of the case. One was from a 4 CD Led Zeppelin box set that I absolutely love and it was expensive to replace. Also I sit in front of a computer all day and listen with headphones so having everything available with a few clicks is way more convenient than going downstairs to get a CD. Tidal is nice but I still buy the CDs of stuff I like.

Reactions: scene and Jota180

doifeellucky

I used to buy lots of CD's back in the 90's, but then gradually realised I really wasn't listening to them enough. Then due to a move in 2005 I had to put mine in cases (I kept the front and back inserts), and unfortunately due to Spotify, more recently that's where they stay. I got the ones with anti scratch inserts and never experienced any issues with damage, but I took extra care when taking them out and putting them back. I did the same with my DVD's five or so years ago, and am now contemplating the same for Blu-ray. I'm afraid these days I value practically over getting that extra few % points of sound quality. I just press a button on my phone and I can listen to music in several rooms in my house. The amount of new music I've found using Spotify wouldn't make me switch back. My tastes have also changed over 35 years. Half of my CD collection I wouldn't even listen to these days. No regrets from me.

scene

I didn't even know imgur had an app but I use a PC or ( Windows ) laptop 99.5% of the time. If I had to internet with a phone or tablet I probably just wouldn't.

I've 'only' got about 600 CDs but I agree with ripping them to a digital format. Recently I've had 2 that date back to the late 80s / early 90s just shatter in my hand from taking them out of the case. One was from a 4 CD Led Zeppelin box set that I absolutely love and it was expensive to replace. Also I sit in front of a computer all day and listen with headphones so having everything available with a few clicks is way more convenient than going downstairs to get a CD. Tidal is nice but I still buy the CDs of stuff I like.
I'm with you on this - rip lossless and store on a decent NAS - multiple HDDs with some form of RAID software to help secure against disk crashes/dying (I've had to replace two HDD in my NAS to date...)

Having ripped I now listen to more music, as it's so much easier to find things, create my own playlists, etc.

Still buy CDs, but the routine is now: Buy CD, open, RIP losslessly, store physical CD away safely as backup.

danny-79

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
life time of collecting there. got a couple hundred more elsewhere. then there is my LP collection, 1000+
Ill keep things as they are i think, its handy having them digitised for memory sticks in car etc but i more than happy keeping them in sight
Cds.jpg

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts