Cd digital storage

aversaurus

I know digital cd storage has been passed by in a way by streaming
I have a large cd collection and still enjoy buying them a but like the convenance of streaming.
so I was thinking of something like a Brennan B2 or something similar.
Does anyone still use digital cd storage?
Any better than others ?
looking for advice?

Gray

Does anyone still use digital cd storage?
You bet they do.
Some of us will never subscribe to a streaming service, much preferring playing our own stored music.
Rip it free (lookup EAC - Exact Audio Copy), store it uncompressed on hard drive, USB stick or as NAS if you like. Play it back with the likes of Foobar 2000 or Volumio.....

Last edited:

WayneKerr

i dont have a computer or laptop with a cd drive so id have to get a external cd drive to give it a go.
Do it :) Instructions on how to set up EAC can be found online, once you've done that rip away. If you've got a large CD collection it can be time consuming but it's worth it. I use a different program to search for the best cover artwork. Foobar 2000 gets my vote too but there are other players available. I use a very old SFF PC to run the media player but there are other options too.

If you get stuck there's plenty of us on here who can assist.

Reactions: Gray

michael hoy

dbpoweramp is another really good ripper and pulls in artwork. It's not free but it works well for me.
I had a large collection to rip when i first started. Set it up, put the disc in and do something else whilst it rips.
I would do it again, don't get me wrong i love CD's and would never sign up to any streaming service for music.

Reactions: Gray

Vincent Kars

Another dBpoweramp fanboy here.

Comtent edited by moderation - please adhere to forum rules:

• Don’t use our forums as a tool to promote your own personal products or services. Trying to drive our readers to third party sites will result in such posts being edited or deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

nads

Some good advice on the software thanks but what are people using as hardware.
Pc,s or purpose built storage servers?
Oh leading question.

I have a NAS with about 2TB in raid format. As when I started the steamer I wanted did not have any storage attached. It is also used for photos as well backed up from the PCs. The NAS is connected to the network by Wire.

now there are a few streamers that will rip and store. And some that will also allow you to add streamers to the set up to acces the stored music on them.

having recently bought a BluSound node I would suggest have it a look at their ripper/storage/streamer.
https://www.bluesound.com/products/vault/

high res playback. Massive storage for Flac files And you can add more of their products in other rooms.

daveh75

You bet they do.
Some of us will never subscribe to a streaming service, much preferring playing our own stored music.

I would do it again, don't get me wrong i love CD's and would never sign up to any streaming service for music.

I will never understand this attitude. They aren't mutually exclusive!

I have a 5 bay NAS full of CD rips (as well as
DVD and BD rips) but I also subscribe to streaming services.

They're a useful tool for discovering new music and previewing before purchasing if nothing else.

But YouTube/YouTube Music is an invaluable resource for bootlegs, covers and performances, undiscovered talent etc you just won't find anywhere else, let alone on CD...

Reactions: jamesrfisher

Vincent Kars

Some good advice on the software thanks but what are people using as hardware.
Pc,s or purpose built storage servers?
What ever you want.
I use a PC with a outboard DAC. The PC offers me a abundance of software like Musicbee, dBpoweramp, MP3tag, etc. and a big screen.
The DAC improves on the onboard audio.
For storage I have had
- local hard disk (very convenient as it is fast, you like that when doing bulk tagging)
- NAS. I have one to backup all the PC's in the household. I also use it to sync to a NAS at my sister so I have a backup off premisses. If you like streaming using UPnP to various devices, it is also a great solution for audio.
- Router. My latest has a USB port. Instead of having a external HD on the desk, I used the router. Can also be used for UPnP.
- External SSD. It is small, completely silent and fast.

All the time: make a backup!

Vincent Kars

The modern answer is get a Raspberry Phi and install Volumio.
You can also try any PC.
Install a media player like Muiscbee as you need a tool to maintain your collection.
Install a UPnP media server or simply use Win Media sharing (is UPnP)
Install a UPnP client on your phone e.g. BubbleUPnP and you have your remote.
(Link to own website deleted by moderation).

Last edited by a moderator:

WayneKerr

Personally, I use an old Acer small form factor PC with an external hard drive for music storage attached. I'm loathed to part with it as it has coaxial out - don't see many PCs with this facility. PC gubbins is kept in a drawer under the CDP, separate monitor next to TV. Commands are by wireless keyboard and mouse which can be operated from my listening position.

It's a bit heath robinson but it works for me. Would love to hear any other ideas on how to replace it though (y)

iMark

Haven't been on the forum for while. Just saw this subject. Maybe this helps for anyone thinking of using a Mac for CD ripping.

Over the years I have ripped all our CDs with iTunes and later the Music app on my Mac mini. All the CDs are stored on an external hard drive as Apple Lossless files (ALAC). I use Airplay to stream to our Yamaha R-N602 or other Airplay speakers like Sonos. We can use the remote app on iPhone or iPad to operate the library on the Mac mini in another room.
Probably not as professional as using a NAS but extremely easy to set up.

Connecting an iPhone to the Mac makes it possible to copy CDs to the phone.

For ripping the CDs I now use a Pioneer Blu-ray burner, the BDR-XS07TS. For CDs and DVDs this works out of the box. You need quite a bit of extra software to use Blu-ray on the Mac though. It's a hobby.

Whatever you do however always rip with error correction on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts