CD Set up for AV system?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I am looking to add a decent CD set up within my AV set up but need some advice on where to start. My current AV set up comprises of a Denon 3808, Denon 3910, Monitor Audio Radius 270 speakers for the front channels with a Radius 250 centre channel. I also have a Rel Stampede which I have set up using both the low level input as well as the high level input when using the 3910 to play CDs, SACDs etc in stereo mode.

What should I add/upgrade first? Stereo amp, dedicated CD player or front speakers (which will need to be a piano gloss finish) and what would you recommend I should put on my shortlist?

Budget is less important than the ability to gradually upgrade each of the above elements over time but the system should be of a similar quality to the AV set up that I currently have.

Thanks

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
simonn5:
Hi, I am looking to add a decent CD set up within my AV set up but need some advice on where to start. My current AV set up comprises of a Denon 3808, Denon 3910, Monitor Audio Radius 270 speakers for the front channels with a Radius 250 centre channel. I also have a Rel Stampede which I have set up using both the low level input as well as the high level input when using the 3910 to play CDs, SACDs etc in stereo mode.

What should I add/upgrade first? Stereo amp, dedicated CD player or front speakers (which will need to be a piano gloss finish) and what would you recommend I should put on my shortlist?

Budget is less important than the ability to gradually upgrade each of the above elements over time but the system should be of a similar quality to the AV set up that I currently have.

Thanks

You have a nice system there but if you don't have a budget it's guess work for me. You have plenty of options. Your dvd player will probably be pretty good as a cd spinner as well. Personally I would add a DAC to your dvd player and stereo amp and change your front speakers. I have the new DacMagic from Cambridge Audio (£200) - it's fantastic. I would also recommend the Cambridge Audio 840A v2 (£750). Add an XLR cable (decent one for about £100). Speakers, if you wanted to stick with MA, you could keep your surround speakers and sub and sell your 270s and 250 and get the silver or gold range. That would be a very nice system.

Or forget the DAC and get the CA 840C (£750) which is even better, sell your Denon dvd player and get the new Denon BD transport. That would be an amazing system!!

There are a few people on here that rate the Cambridge 840 cdp and amp as the best for your buck under £1k.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess I have an initial budget of around £1,500.

I like the idea of the second option but I would probably keep the 3910 as I have quite a few SACD and DVD-A discs. However, I thought that the starting point to get a good stereo system would be with the amp and then the source?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
simonn5:
Thanks for the feedback.

I guess I have an initial budget of around £1,500.

I like the idea of the second option but I would probably keep the 3910 as I have quite a few SACD and DVD-A discs. However, I thought that the starting point to get a good stereo system would be with the amp and then the source?

I would say amp and speakers are the most important. You could do a lot worse than my system. RS6 fronts with CA 840 amp and the Dacmagic. This would mean you can keep the Denon for multi channel music and use it as transport to the DAC for cd duty. The difference with the stereo amp and better speakers will amaze you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts