CD Recording Quality

halba

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
I guess in all genres of music the recording and mixing qualities vary - some recording are good, others poor but few seem to be great. I am a lover of Smooth Jazz - has anyone any suggestions in the great category?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="halba"]Lee Ritenour,[/quote]

As in the guitarist? The rest are new to me. As is the off-putting genre tag. However, in the spirit of eclecticism I'll investigate some of the aforementioned. So thanks for the names.

A

Anonymous

Searching for "smooth jazz" (with inverted commas) on Google returns in the region of 5.5 million hits, so it is a fairly well-established sub genre. Not that number of Google hits is a measure of quality (said he whilst listening to Rage against the machine). Each to his own...

A

Anonymous

Halba, not sure if this falls into the Smooth Jazz category, but I've just got Keith Jarrett's "The Koln Concert" which is a nicely-mastered CD, and seems to capture some of the spirit of the live concert without sounding rubbish.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="tractorboy"] but I've just got Keith Jarrett's "The Koln Concert"[/quote]

Me too and many Pat Metheny albums up to 1986 - it's just that I must have been elsewhere when they rolled out the Smooth Jazz franchise. The name, and sorry to go on about this, just seems so redolent of saccharine sax solos ala Kenny G and that one Dave Stewart had a number 37 hit with, way back when.

By the way, what's happening on the dirty rough, scuzzed-up jazz scene these days?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"][quote user="tractorboy"] but I've just got Keith Jarrett's "The Koln Concert"[/quote] Me too and many Pat Metheny albums up to 1986 - it's just that I must have been elsewhere when they rolled out the Smooth Jazz franchise. The name, and sorry to go on about this, just seems so redolent of saccharine sax solos ala Kenny G and that one Dave Stewart had a number 37 hit with, way back when. [/quote]
Ho, ho. For me, "smooth jazz" conjures up an image of a young pipe-smoking hipster with one arched eyebrow nodding his head in time to the music and going "Mmm, niiice".

A

Anonymous

Does Diana Krall fall in that category? I have "The look of the love" hybrid SACD and it sounds good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts