CD players with variable volume control

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
It's hard to find info on these guys. It was nearly a common feature years ago.

If anyone has or had cd players with a variable volume control could you please mention the model. This could be handy for anyone looking for something like this.

I thought the marantz cd5001 had this function but can't find where I saw yhis , so now I am unsure, thanks

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:

If anyone has or had cd players with a variable volume control could you please mention the model. This could be handy for anyone looking for something like this.

I thought the marantz cd5001 had this function but can't find where I saw yhis , so now I am unsure, thanks

CD6000KI had variable volume control, still own a mint example.

Edit; Why is this feature important to you?

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
muljao said:

Thanks luckylion100.

A friend wants a cd player in his kitchen. The wife is allowing (barely, but he has no room for an amp) as he has gear all over the house. He was thinking of either the Q acoustics BT3 or a set of active presonus eris e5s. If he goes active he wants to be able to remotely control the volume. He asked me as I was looking for something similar recently, google isn't extremely helpful in this case

insider9

I'd look at one of many micro systems/all in ones. Perfect for a kitchen. If you want to use it in active setup, make sure it has preouts.

Sadly none of the ones I know have pre outs. Only line outs.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
luckylion100 said:
muljao said:

Thanks luckylion100.

A friend wants a cd player in his kitchen. The wife is allowing (barely, but he has no room for an amp) as he has gear all over the house. He was thinking of either the Q acoustics BT3 or a set of active presonus eris e5s. If he goes active he wants to be able to remotely control the volume. He asked me as I was looking for something similar recently, google isn't extremely helpful in this case

Makes perfect sense now. I'm sure he shouldn't have ny problems on ebay and a decent example will turn up sooner or later.

I kept mine and an accompanying Marantz amp because I thought the cd player was particularly good. Sorry, that's as far as my knowledge/experience goes on the subject but was curious. Ta

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
I'd look at one of many micro systems/all in ones. Perfect for a kitchen. If you want to use it in active setup, make sure it has preouts.

Sadly none of the ones I know have pre outs. Only line outs.

Thanks,

Its either a cd player with volume control or a marantz mcr611

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Must be a thousand and one cheap microsystems with remote control he could put in a kitchen. New and used. Depends whether he wants something good enough for background music or whether he wants something more 'hifi'. When I first put music in our kitchen in the late 1990s, I bought a pair of powered PC speakers for £50 and rigged them up to my amp's Tape Out sockets two rooms away using a 20m extension cable tacked under the carpets. They did the job for over a decade until I replaced them with a Pure DAB radio, which is still there. I mean, just how much 'serious' listening are you going to do in a kitchen...

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Must be a thousand and one cheap microsystems with remote control he could put in a kitchen. New and used. Depends whether he wants something good enough for background music or whether he wants something more 'hifi'. When I first put music in our kitchen in the late 1990s, I bought a pair of powered PC speakers for £50 and rigged them up to my amp's Tape Out sockets two rooms away using a 20m extension cable tacked under the carpets. They did the job for over a decade until I replaced them with a Pure DAB radio, which is still there. I mean, just how much 'serious' listening are you going to do in a kitchen...

It's actually a kitchen/ dining room. I only asked on behalf of the friend. He actually has high end gear in another room but spends more time here in his kitchen area. No bothers, I'm sure he'll find what he needs

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
muljao said:
It's actually a kitchen/ dining room. I only asked on behalf of the friend. He actually has high end gear in another room but spends more time here in his kitchen area. No bothers, I'm sure he'll find what he needs

I suppose it eventually comes down to what level of performance he wants in a room where for most people hifi is a distant consideration. Personally I'd buy some powered studio monitors to keep the box count down, then strap some kind of digital receiver to them depending on whether his mobile choice bats slightly towards Cupertino (Airport Express) or Mountain View (Chromecast Audio or Bluetooth receiver). But that might not be what he wants.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
muljao said:

I suppose it eventually comes down to what level of performance he wants in a room where for most people hifi is a distant consideration. Personally I'd buy some powered studio monitors to keep the box count down, then strap some kind of digital receiver to them depending on whether his mobile choice bats slightly towards Cupertino (Airport Express) or Mountain View (Chromecast Audio or Bluetooth receiver). But that might not be what he wants.
He wants studio monitors and also a cd. Chromecast etc not his scene, I've told him many options but all he wants is a cd player

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The mentioned speakers have a remote with volume control. Problem is he'll have to use two remotes with a CDP. But maybe one of those programable remotes that will work on both units?

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Vladimir said:
The mentioned speakers have a remote with volume control. Problem is he'll have to use two remotes with a CDP. But maybe one of those programable remotes that will work on both units?
He favours the presonus actives if he can get a cd player with variable volume. If he can't any cd player will do with the Q acoustics

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
Vladimir said:
He favours the presonus actives if he can get a cd player with variable volume. If he can't any cd player will do with the Q acoustics

Is this Creek 100CD of interest? http://www.creekaudio.com/cd-players/evolution-100cd/

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
muljao said:
Vladimir said:

Is this Creek 100CD of interest? http://www.creekaudio.com/cd-players/evolution-100cd/

Thanks. I'll pass this info on

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts