CD players - Are they a dieing breed?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
I sympathize. Having 'upgraded' to a Canon EOS 6D and spent a fortune on fixed-length 'L' series lenses (zoom compromises quality, don'tcha know), I now need a small trolley to move my camera gear around, as well as one of those silly jackets that sports photographers wear. I used to enjoy going on holiday, now I'm a laughing stock.

I wouldn't get far with a small trolley full of priceless optics. How do you get it all over small streams and stiles and whatnot? (Or along miles of roughly made up footpaths?)

Reggie Mental

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
manicm said:
BigH said:
manicm said:
As far as vinyl goes, I sorely miss the covers and playback, but do not miss the inconvenience, maintenance etc. But one day I would want to get a good deck, if only to play some records we have that have never been released on CD.

I would be interested to know what those records are?

Beethoven's Emperor Concerto by Sergio Fiorentino (piano) / George Hurst (conductor) 1965 with the Pro-Hamburg Orchestra, for starters. Frankly I have yet to hear a better performance of this piece. It has drama, emotion and subtlety in spades, and in the 2nd movement which in other recordings are either too fast or too slow, this one gets it just right. A CD pressing of this would be worth more to me than gold.

It's on Spotify, but not great sounding IMHO.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
MajorFubar said:
Similar story here. On occasions when I don't want the immediacy of digital, I use a Trip 35 with its marvelous 42mm F/2.8 tessar..

I still have one of those from about 1980...

Clicky

I give it a spin about once a year to make sure it still works ok.

It does.

Very nice Chebby! I take it you use it mainly for B&W (yellow filter on the lens). I have an Olympus 35RC that I use almost exclusively for B&W, fitted with a yellow filter. I am lead to believe that good yellow filters with the 43.5mm thread (used by the Trip and RC) are hard to get these days, so treat it like gold dust!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
chebby said:
MajorFubar said:
Similar story here. On occasions when I don't want the immediacy of digital, I use a Trip 35 with its marvelous 42mm F/2.8 tessar..

I still have one of those from about 1980...

Clicky

I give it a spin about once a year to make sure it still works ok.

It does.

Vry nice Chebby! I take it you use it a lot for B&W (yellow filter). I have an Olympus 35RC that I use almost exclusively for B&W, fitted with a yellow filter. I am lead to believe that good (43.5mm thread) yellow filters are hard to get these days - treat it like gold dust!

I don't use it for anything much any more (as I said, once or twice a year to keep it exercised).

But yes, I use the yellow filter and hood and black & white film (Ilford HP5 sent off to Ilford in Crewe for d&p and scan to CD).

Here is the filter and hood with my Trip...

clicky

(It's never needed repairing. Just had the light seals re-foamed about 10 years ago.)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Nice...those Trip camera cases are quite rare too.

Did you buy it new? It must've been NOS to still have the silver button, they changed to black plastic buttons in 1978.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

Did you buy it new? It must've been NOS to still have the silver button, they changed to black plastic buttons in 1978.

About 1980 from the local branch of Boots. The first camera I bought for myself from Saturday job money. (It was in a sale IIRC so might have been clearance stock.)

manicm

Reggie Mental said:
manicm said:
Not great sounding as in audio quality or the music itself? I've yet to hear a better rendition of this piece. Kempff, Furtwangler, Abbado - none of them come even close IMO.

Sound quality.

Well I'm not surprised, because

1. Since the album was never pressed in vinyl

2. Thus Spotify or someone transcoded it to MP3, and to my mind transcoding vinyl to MP3 cannot sound great, especially at lower bitrates.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
MajorFubar said:

About 1980 from the local branch of Boots. The first camera I bought for myself from Saturday job money. (It was in a sale IIRC so might have been clearance stock.)

Take good care of it (I can see you have already). The chrome-button Trips are worth a bit more than the later versions.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Take good care of it (I can see you have already). The chrome-button Trips are worth a bit more than the later versions.

I'll never sell it so it's 'worth' is not an issue.

People who decide value based on things like the colour of the shutter would never actually use a camera. (They should stick to Dinky toys and leave still useful cameras to people who might actually still want to use them.)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
lol it's not worth more just because of a different-coloured shutter-button, it's because the black button marked a change in construction-standards. From that point on, models weren't built quite as well, with progressively more and more parts of the mechanism made from plastic and nylon, whereas on the 'silver button' models the same parts had been made from metal and were more durable. The various Olympus Trip Flickr enthusiasts groups are quite busy, and about 95% of forum contributors use their cameras, some of them quite extensively. It's not really a model which attracts the 'glass cabinet' brigade; it doesn't have the status yet of collectable Leicas and Rollei 35s

EDIT: here's one of my shots, Trip 35, Fuji Sensia 400

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3538/3521905933_60cf2d3732_z.jpg

stege

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I currently own a cheap system at 1500USD. A Nad D3020, NAD C546Bee cd player and Monitor Audio RX1 speakers run through some cheap Supra cables.

And even at this level I can say without any hesitation, the quality you get from using CDs through a decent dedicated cd player via analog outputs cannot in any way be compared with streaming digital music using any other method (BT aptX, USB asyncron, optical or USB data.), offcourse at this price level.

Yes, I've ripped my CD collection. It fits entirely on a 32GB nano USB stick that's barely visible in the CD player's USB input. Yet, the difference in quality is huge. And it only gets bigger when using more expensive toys.

Sure, I'm streaming with aptX when watching movies or listening to background HD radio stations. But when mixing a glass of wine with relaxing in my fav chair and listening to MUSIC, the cd-player is the only way to go.

And I know people who spent thousands on quality DACs and still wonder..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts