CD player upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am currently upgrading slowly my more than 10 year old Onkyo hifi system. i have started some years ago with Acoustic energy Aegis evo One speakers and Chord Co cables (cobra 2 and Rumour 2). this year I replaced the Amp with a Rotel 04 , and what is left is a 13 year old Onkyo DX710. The sound I have is quite good actually, but I was wondering if I could have a better one. Following recent reviews i was thinking of purchasing a Marantz CD6002. I went to a local Hifi shop (I live in malaysia) to try the player. the demo was done with a Roksan amp and I think some AE speakers (part of a 5.1 system). The sound was good, but it did not produce the sort of breakthrough I was expecting, I always do my tests with the same CD (rock music and soundtracks). Voices were better, but not bass (maybe due to the speakers). Anyway, the sound would be different in my home.

I was wondering if anyone based on my spec, would recommend upgrading my CD player. and to which one.

thanks

A

Anonymous

Thanks,

I will give it a try.

What would be the next upgrade afterwards?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Probably an upgrade in the speaker department would be a smart move, along with the addition of a power amp to biamp them. The Rotel RB-06 is the obvious choice.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again,

you mean I could use the RA04 as a preamp and then the RB-06 to power the speakers. As I am a little confused should there be one R-06 for both speakers, or one per speaker?

what speakers would you recommend for my setup (with the marantz), not too big as my next place will be much smaller.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Nope, use the existing amp to drive the treble sections of the speakers, and the RB-06 to drive the bass sections. And stick with the AEs - they'll be fine in a smaller room.

A

Anonymous

Guess i was wrong then,

Thanks for the advices , first the marantz and then the rotel (when the funds will arrive).

I have followed What hifi recommendations to build up my home cinema and was not disppointed.

emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts